Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to remove pallet under heavy machinery.

How to remove pallet under heavy machinery.

Hi all.

How do you guys remove the wooden pallet underneath a heavy machinery say 1000lbs? Engine hoist? My ceiling height is 9'

I don't have a crane in my workshop and forklift can't get inside the garage...

I have another machiney weighs 400-450 lbs. that I need to move off a pallet too but probably can be done manually like rocking off the pallet....

2. Build a ramp. Take machine off pallet with a pump jack

A ramp and 3 or 4 solid metal rods under the machine,roll,remove one from the back and put it in the front,repeat as you roll forward.

thanks guys.

is there any other way without involving a ramp?

what's the machine? some are top heavy some are not.
    jack
    English machines

Quote Originally Posted by jack forsberg View Post
    what's the machine? some are top heavy some are not.

here is the photo of the machine.

Think its top-bottom equal heavy.

top has motor and gears, bottom is the solid steel frame, the frame is cast iron and the walls are about 3/4" thick

photo 2.jpg

Using a ramp you can move the 1000 pound tool with a pinch bar or a very large screw driver. Just nudge it 1/4" at a time off the pallet and down the ramp. Also have seen 1000+ pound equipment left on the pallet for over 25 years and just used that way.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

chain mortisers are tipsy!! top heavy to be sure. put some real long 4x4 through/beside the one on the machine and block them up with shims. . remove the pallet and let one side/4x4 leg down at a time
    jack
    English machines

I have something similar to this that's very useful for such jobs when you need to ease something up just a little bit. For moving heavy stuff, I like longer levers better than bigger hammers. http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...=Google&cm_ite=

Don't know what machine it is or how to get it off the pallet--but I want one.

Quote Originally Posted by jack forsberg View Post
    chain mortisers are tipsy!! top heavy to be sure. put some real long 4x4 through/beside the one on the machine and block them up with shims. . remove the pallet and let one side/4x4 leg down at a time

Thanks Jack. I am trying to see if there is a video showing how this is done.

I am off to a equipment hire place to see a mobile gantry they have. if not too bad on the $ then I will just hire it...

I've done it a few different ways but often what I do is build a custom base with plywood on top and some clearance for a pallet jack underneath, then scoot the machine off the pallet onto the new base and bolt it down. This way the footprint is still modest and the machine will be easy to move around if needed.

Blog Entries
    I would consider renting a lift from a tool rental place.

image.jpg
    This is what the equipment guys have for hire. $160USD for a day. I have hired it. The display setup is 8 high, can be dismantled and put on a trailer.

That should work Albert. Shame to tip that nice mortiser over .. :