Thread: Getty Bowl

Getty Bowl

I live close to the Getty Center in Los Angeles, and I made this bowl to reflect the marble used on the exterior of the buildings.

I've always been fascinated by seeing the rough face of the marble and the smooth sides where it was cut.

The faces of the segments were cut with a rough bandsaw blade and stippled before assembling the rings

6 x 11 Whitewashed Poplar

The second shot is the Getty Center

C&C's please
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please see personal profile for website info.

John, I see what you were going for and you did a good job of picking up the look of the building. I don't like the look of the exposed edges of the segments, but that is a personal taste thing, and you wouldn't be doing justice to the building without it.

I like your bowl, very much. I also adore the look on the getty center. You did a great job transferring the stone to your bowl. Keep the outside the bowl concepts coming, I luv new concepts and the thinking behind them.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Very cool idea! I think you really captured the look you were going for. I love seeing where people get their inspirations from. There's so much around us if we only open our eyes.

This is beautiful craftsmanship !Hopefully someday I can replicate your work. Wonderful!

It's an intriguing concept, Don, and you pulled it off very well.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

I like the bowl very much. Never seen anything quite like it.

What kind of glue did you use?

Very good on the originality
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

John I admire your work, very original. I'm no art critic but I think the bowl would look better if you had left the top ring off. Maybe it is the photo that makes it look that way.
    Fred

Fred, thanks for the comment, my wife said the same thing about the photo. It's just an illusion of the photo. I think the bowl looks right in person.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please see personal profile for website info.