Thread: Engraving HD granite not straight white.

Engraving HD granite not straight white.

I'm engraving some home depot granite as a test, and the etch whiteness varies. Am I not etching will strong enough power? I'll send a pic when it's done.

Home depot does not have a good selection of product and a lot of times it is not a true granite you8 caan use white paint to increase the white onl it
    Craig Matheny
    Anaheim, Ca
    45 watt Epilog Laser, 60 watt Epilog Laser,
    Plasma Cutter, MiG Welder
    Rikon 70-100 Lathe
    Shop Smith V510, To many hand Tools and
    Universal Repair Kit (1- Hammer and 1- Roll of Duck Tape)

CLARK -
    I switched, sometime ago, to using Home Depot granite (12" x 12") tiles, simply 'cause of the price difference. I've mentioned this before: it helps to get friendly with the sales help in that HD department. They help me shuffle through the heavy cartons to find the tiles with the least "flecks". (some tiles way more flecked than others. The top tile generally tells the story for the rest in the carton.) Also: I got 'lot of wonderful advice 'while back, when I posted: "Losing my marbles ... marble business" - see if you can find this thread. I was having 'heck of a time getting the photos and text bright enough. Learned how to first seal the tile - engrave it - then coat with (and wipe off) titanium oil based white paint for 'much bright appearance. Good luck.

Bill
    Attached Images Attached Images
    (Using Epilog 35W Mini 24)

Granite from HD comes out okay. All depends on the settings you use. Here is an example on the 12x12 HD granite. Really good for mock-up samples for clients. 10172863_561040640660649_1311310870_n.jpg
    Vytek L Star 75 Watt Co2 Laser 48"x96"
    Chem Etch
    Illustrator CS5
    Photoshop CS5 Extended
    Corel Draw X5
    Photograv

Laserworx 8

Laser Etcher.
    Graphic Designer, Retoucher and Photographer.