Thread: Every usable scrap-suggestions??

Every usable scrap-suggestions??

I'm all about using as much of my materials as possible for both environmental and economical reasons. Case in point. When I cut out a bangle, I have a disk that ranges from 2 3/8" to 2 3/4"d that I turn into napkin rings. THAT leaves me with a plug ~~. 1 1/16" d by anywhere from 3/4" to 1 1/4" long -- about the size of a thread spool with a 1/4" hole through the middle. I've racked my brain and can't think of anything to turn them into. Any thoughts? Anyone have a use for them?

Well, it is a bit warm to fire up the wood stove right now, but I got overwhelmed by too many that I couldn't give away at the wood raffles every month.....

robo hippy

The chiminea is the repository of last resort. Unfortunately, it seems to never lack for sustenance.

How about rings?
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

Cha-ching. That's a big reason I love this place. Someone always has an answer. Can't believe I didn't think of that but sometimes the solution is TOO close to the front of your nose. I can grasp one end of each plug with my small jaws and part off 2 - maybe 3 - rings from each one. Various forstner bits for various sizes. Hand finish in the evenings watching tv. Thanks for the idea!!

Napkin holders.

Thimbles.

The final scrap piece was the middle disk cut out from a napkin ring. Thimbles are a thought but I'm not sure there'd be a market for them given how cheap/durable metal ones are.

Rings take a lot of abuse, and will break. That's inevitable. But, you can make them MUCH stronger by gluing to small pieces with the grain offset 90 degrees. || against =. I actually prefer to put a contrasting wood (rotated 90 degrees) between two "halves".
    Ridiculum Ergo Sum

Also, depending upon how interesting the wood is, you could make discs (like a flat washer) or beads or hoops for necklaces & earrings. I think they are too short for pens unless you stack 'em lengthwise...
    Maria
    A woodchick can chuck wood

I thought about ear rings but they would have to be hoops as the plugs have a 1/4" hole from the hole saw guide bit. Would be fairly easy to forstner them to a bigger hole and roll them into hoops. I do believe I could make 2 necklace beads out of each one. Just add a couple pieces as they come available. A nice brass bead or some such between each one. Thanks for the ideas.

If you go pendant style you wouldn't have to enlarge the hole. You can see an example in my photo album, though the holes are offset in mine. I'm sure there are other examples around here.
    Good luck!
    Maria
    A woodchick can chuck wood

Quote Originally Posted by Maria Alvarado View Post
    If you go pendant style you wouldn't have to enlarge the hole. You can see an example in my photo album, though the holes are offset in mine. I'm sure there are other examples around here.
    Good luck!
    Very nice. I like that idea. After all is said and done, I believe I'm gonna turn them into hoop ear rings. Very quick to make and will probably make stocking stuffers out of them. Maybe a little lagniappe to go with a pepper mill sale.
    Last edited by Greg A Jones; 05-30-2014 at 7:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg A Jones View Post
    Thimbles are a thought but I'm not sure there'd be a market for them given how cheap/durable metal ones are.
    Ah people collect them like they do anything, if they're pretty. The market is somewhat targeted but I know a few people who have whole cabinets full the the darn things.. I don't think usable is so much the question/point there

Hmpf. Guess you have a point. Didn't think of them in terms of being collectible