Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Questions about choosing a jointer-planer combination

+1 on what Ryan said.. Grizzly was never historically CSA approved and due to that, pretty uncommon in Canada.

In addition to what others have said, jointer/planer combos have only recently been considered practical by most people in N. America so there aren't a lot of machines yet to make up a used market. IMO Rikon, Grizzly and Jet are comparable, Hammer and Minimax are a step up.

I have an Inca 10-1/4" J/P. I've had it for more than 25 years and it's great little machine that does big work. A look at the photo gallery on my website shows what it's capable of. I have one of the early models that used a separate 1.5 HP motor. That allowed them to ship it where ever they wanted where an approved motor could be used. They are not available too often but that might be an option if you can find one. They typically go for less than $750 on the used market, often quite a bit less. In 25 years I've replaced one planetary gear belt and the thing has processed thousands of BF.

But I'd still go with separate machines if you have the room.

John

A couple of years ago Grizzly went seriously into the Canadian Market. They have a clear and simple shipping by UPS Frieght (separate system from UPS Parcel). Currently Grizzly gives you a credit approximately equal to the brokerage costs. If you access the Grizzly website from a Canadian computer you get a click on the home page which takes you to their Canadian shipping policy. It's straight forward and you do have to do it their way. My neighbour ordered an 8" jointer on Friday and received it the next Wednesday - he had no issues about delivery or costs. And many Grizzly machines are now CSA approved - for example most 8 in jointers are - shows in red print in the product listing. This red print may only show if you access the Grizzly site from a Canadian located computer.
    Last edited by John Gornall; 06-24-2014 at 10:28 AM.

Description
    This machine is identical to our model G0656X with the exception of the dazzling white color and incredible introductory price.This 8" Jointer has all the features you’d want for precision jointing applications and ease of use. For precision jointing, we started with a 6 foot, cast iron bed and added positive handwheel adjustment for both the infeed and outfeed tables. A built-in mobile base, center mounted fence with lateral rack and pinion control and a pedestal mounted switch all combine to make this jointer one of the best jointers you’ll find anywhere. CSA certified meeting CSA C22.2 #71.2-10 and UL 987-8 standards!

You bring up an interesting point about CSA certification. Many years ago I needed to buy computer gear for a client and settled (as I usually did, being a Unix bigot and all) on Sun gear. Getting it in California saved about 40% over getting it in Canada, and on a $3 million hardware budget that was real money. However, DEC tried to force us to buy from them or Sun Canada by sending a lawyer's letter claiming that Sun's California gear came without CSA certified power supplies and were not legal for use in Canada.

Our lawyers said No - so what we did was have the dealer in San Francisco ship to an office in Montana, and we sent a truck to pick it up. No one ever sued, no power supplies caught fire, and Sun honored the service contracts in Canada.

If a company like Grizzly didn't sell enough of a particular product line into Canada to justify paying CSA fees and didn't want to have to enforce NAFTA on this if the CSA sued, they could just sell to an agent near the border and have the Canadian customer pick it up. Most Canadians would understand the logic.

P.S. I do not know if the complaints found at http://www.restorecsa.com/ reflect reality, but it makes interesting reading on this subject.

Rudy,
    Just to quick note to let you know that I have owned a Grizzley 12" planer/jointer combo machine for 3 years. I am very happy with my purchase. I am a serious hobbyist making period furniture, utilizing mainly cherry, walnut and mahogany. As others have said, if you have the money and space, seprate machines are always going to be a better option. I work out of a 2 car garage and the combo machine gives me the advantages of a wide jointer and a carbide helical cutter head for a price that I could not touch with seperate units. All combo units will require a few minutes of change over from jointer to planer as well as are more difficult and time consuming to align the tables if they ever go out of parallel.

John G:

Yes - but my shipping issue isn't with grizzly, it's with UPS. When the truck shows up, you pay what they ask or they take a shipment you've paid for away - and arguing with their customer service people has never yet worked for me. Most of the time the number is reasonable: brokerage plus GST - but sometimes it's unfathomable, and you have no choice and no real recourse. I am willing to refuse a $19.99 book from Amazon because UPS wants $32 on delivery - but I'm less likely to write off a $1,300 US jointer-planer because the guy wants $200 (or whatever ) at the door. Grizzly could fix this easily, but all they want to do is explain that they don't...

If I could get one, I'd buy it.

Right now my best bet on used quality machine appears to be either two machines (e.g. there's a Powermatic 60B on kijiji right now) or a used Hammer A3-31.

The G056X is a very nice machine -and, apropos of that CSA thing, didn't Shop Fox start out as Canadian?

Hi Rudy, yes it's not legal to use a non approved machine in Canada, doesn't have to be a CSA approval, just a Canadian electrical approval.

The Hammer A3-31 is a great machine, I've had one for years, my brother now has one, I would highly reccomend it. The A26 has shorter beds, I woulg go with the A31.

restore CSA has an axe to grind as they want to be able to use the CSA material without paying for it............Regards, Rod.

Rudy, if I may suggest first decide what level of woodworking you want to do. That defines the type of machine you need. Then decide what brand/model is going to suite you.
    It *seems* to me you are so much fixed on the extra UPS charge and are loosing the sight on what is more important.
    I am a (serious) hobbist. I started with a 6" jointer and a lunch box planer (DW734). Both served me well but were limiting what I wanted to do. So I have upgraded to a J/P combo
    (Minimax FS350 which is about 14"). I bought it used in US and shipped it here in Edmonton.
    My suggestion is, try the used market if you are not in a hurry. A combo machine (of a good brand) offers a lot for hobbist. If you want to get a new one I think Hammer, Minimax, Casadei are all good ones. You can get them all in Canada I believe. FYI Casadei is built in the same factory as minimax (they are almost identical).
    If you have space you can alternatively get an 8" (or larger) jointer and a planer.

Thjanks - I believe it's legal to use, but not to sell - and that NAFTA exempts US made UL approved products like the motors on some Grizzly products. And, yep restorecsa is grinding axes but I have no idea whether they have a case or not.

14. Have you looked into getting an INCA 570? There were dealers in Canada so you may find some used ones.

I have one I use as a jointer and it's a very satisfactory machine for furniture scale work. It has a Tersa cutterhead. The belt is broken so I've never planed with it. I would not pay what some people are asking for the machine though... it's worth $500-$800 imo.

I had a Robland in the past. The INCA is smaller but the tables are truer. I could still do accurate work on the Robland but a lot of people would be disappointed such a machine developed swaybacked tables. I liked the mortiser on the Robland.
    Last edited by Loren Woirhaye; 06-24-2014 at 1:04 PM.

hi:

I'm not familiar with Inca - although I see there's a Model 550 for sale near London Ont right now - $875

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-power-tool/lo...ario/586548753

That's a bit far to go look at it, but if one appears near here, I will.