Thread: Engagement ring box

Engagement ring box

Hey everyone,
    I'm about to start on a very special build. I've been doing a lot of research into design and am having trouble narrowing my direction. Has anyone done one of these before? I am open to all suggestions and design ideas. She really likes purpleheart so that's a good possibility for wood species selection. Any advice/comments would be appreciated! Thanks.

Whatever you build, it will surely be an improvement over the ring box I gave my wife:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Just kidding of course
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by scott vroom View Post
    Whatever you build, it will surely be an improvement over the ring box I gave my wife:

Delete

Sorry, nothing to add here. Good luck!!
    Last edited by Mark W Pugh; 06-26-2014 at 8:57 AM.

Matt,
    I made one for my wife a about 5 years ago. Check out this thread: HERE.
    I used some Waterfall Bubinga and cannibalized a cheap ring box for the actual ring holder. Simple miter joints as there are no real stresses on it. Tiny box hinges from Rockler.
    Good Luck!
    NWB
    "there is no such thing as a mistake in woodworking, only opportunities to re-assess the design"

hi:

The important thing to keep in mind is that if she puts the ring on, then the box is no longer a ring box - it's just a keepsake.

One idea might be to make it too big with some kind of interior layout making it obviously suitable for other jewelry - things
    like ear rings- with some suitable cnc engraved heartfelt words on the inside of the lid. When she asks,
    you say the space is for anniversary gifts - it may seem sickeningly sweet now, but it gets you off the hook for years
    to come.
    Last edited by rudy de haas; 06-26-2014 at 11:04 AM. Reason: spelling

I made some for my son's engagement a few years ago documented here...http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...t-a-little-box

I actually made two at the same time as the cherry one was my practice/setup trial. The cocobolo box was used for the engagement ring and the cherry for the actual wedding band.
    The hardest thing about these is that precision is key since they are so small. A tiny gap seems huge when the overall box is only a few inches.
    Good luck and congratulations.

Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images

Some things to consider while setting the box dimensions and stock thickness. These will likely seem obvious to you, but, I recently did something similar and hot not really thought about it.

• How will the box open? will you use a hinge or a top that slides in / out? I opted to use hinges I also used 1/4" stock, which made it more difficult because I did not have a lot of space to work with. More specifically, there was not a lot of space to cut relief to place a hinge into the lid since the lid was nothing more than a 1/4" thick piece of wood. I made two this way. One, I attached the hinge to the back of the box, and the other I made a recess for the hinge in the back. In both cases I had to be careful to to make sure that my attachment pins did not puncture through the wood.
    • How will you keep the box closed?
    • One box, I did hand-cut dovetails and the other I just cut miters and glued it together.

Some of the difficulties could have been avoided if I had not made the top a simple flat 1/4" piece of wood. If I had chosen to just create a closed box and then cut it in half, that would have bade it easier to attach things such as a a hasp, catch, latch, or lock. to hold the box shut. I like these (http://www.leevalley.com/US/hardware...419,41455&ap=1) but they are too big for your application. I purchased some of these (http://www.leevalley.com/US/hardware...419,41455&ap=1) but have not tried them yet.

I liked these for hinges, but, at 5mm diameter, that just won't work with a 1/4" thick board (http://www.leevalley.com/US/hardware...93&cat=3,41419). I ended up using these small box hinges (http://www.leevalley.com/US/hardware...419,41437&ap=1) I attached one box using hinges and the other using Escutcheon pins.

Looking forward to see what you make.