Thread: Coloring Timbermate to use as a grain filler for walnut

Coloring Timbermate to use as a grain filler for walnut

I would like to fill the pores in the peruvian walnut dining table I am working on. The finish will be Enduro Clear Poly applied by spraying. I went to Woodcraft to buy the walnut colored Timbermate but they were out. They suggested buying the natural color and coloring it myself. I tried it on a scrap of the same material after thinning it a bit with water and coloring with Transtint dark walnut dye. Applied, sanded back and applied one coat of Enduro. It did indeed worked well as a grain filler as the result is a lot smoother than the part without the grain filler. However, the pores filled with Timbermate still looks more natural color than the dark walnut. This is puzzling me as the product looked like dark chocolate after coloring with Transtint.

What did I do wrong? Should I use a different type of colorant or just order it in walnut color rather than coloring it myself? Are there any other suggestions?

Thanks!

My guess is the filler in Timbermate will not accept the dye. I gave up trying to tint filler because of the exact problem you are experiencing (even on some that claimed they could be tinted). I'll be interested to see how others are doing this.

Does the Timbermate container claim it can be tinied?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gresham View Post
    My guess is the filler in Timbermate will not accept the dye. I gave up trying to tint filler because of the exact problem you are experiencing (even on some that claimed they could be tinted). I'll be interested to see how others are doing this.

Does the Timbermate container claim it can be tinied?
    Yes, Timbermate does claim ability to tint, although not sure it if is noted on the container. They have videos on YouTube that actually show how it is done, they claim one can even use coffee ground to do it. If all I need to is to buy it pre-colored not a deal breaker, but disappointing because both Timbermate and Woodcraft folks claimed it can be colored.

By the way, I am open to any other product that is compatible with the General Finishes Enduro Clear Poly. I know there are even oil based products.

You can put Enduro Clear Poly over pretty much anything IF you first apply a coat of dewaxed shellac. I have used it over SW's BAC Wiping Stain, which is oil based, w/o problem by first sealing it with Sealcoat shellac.

John

Blog Entries
    I have colored it with Transtint dye. I did have to make the dyed Timbermate a few shades darker than the walnut which was not stained. This took some time and a few test pieces as I had to go through the entire finishing protocol to b sure what i was going to get. My finish was a boiled linseed oil / phenolic varnish blend.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler