Thread: Resawing with a Grizzly Bandsaw

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Samuels View Post
    When I push, it actually starts to move the bandsaw on the floor.
    Way too much feed pressure IMHO. If the drag is not being caused by the table not being slick and is actual cutting effort, the blade is shot; no matter how new it is, blades can be damaged. Just something to double check. Any time I feel the urge to lean into the stock in stead of simply feeding it through the operation I stop to see what is wrong. You present the material to the cutter and it cuts it. You continue to feed fresh stock forward and the cutter continues to cut. This should be pretty low effort unless a surface is rough or sticky. Leaning/forcing into a material feed operation is a recipe for an accident. The exception would be a very heavy piece of stock where sheer mass requires greater effort to move it, cutting or not. Again, just my approach to things.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Samuels View Post
    This is the blade that I used: (T25045 Timber Wolf 105" x 3/4" x .025" x 2/3 TPI Pos Claw Bandsaw Blade from Grizzly). Here is a continuation of the story. I was trying just to get (2) 15/16" boards from the 8/4 board. All 4 sides were rough. Probably should have jointed at least the bottom and maybe the side against the fence.
    I have several of those blades as they are my usual resawing choice. I do run a 2HP, 17" saw and routinely resaw 8" to 10" walnut, maple, mahogany, pecan (murderously hard stuff), ash, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    That's a good blade, bit too much for a 14" saw IMO, just because it fits doesn't mean the spring can give it enough tension, I used the 1/2" version when I had a 14" saw, but probably not the deciding factor in this equation. Rough boards against a fence for resaw is a no go, probably the source of much of your problem.
    I will use the bandsaw to rip material that is not face/edge milled when necessary but, I would never use a fence in this operation. The irregular reference surface tying to ride the nice flat fence causes difficulty. I always joint the face and one edge before resawing stock because I want a reliable reference surface for accuracy and agree with Peter's comments.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 06-29-2014 at 10:23 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler