Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: hand saws

the files were packaged loose per size, inside a plastic pouch!
    Another sign we are in the depths of the dark ages and spiraling down.
    Fools.
    I'm commiserating not kidding.
    The other day I got a box with a very heavy monster pad lock in with a movie DVD and NO padding.
    Then . . . are you ready . . . I got a box , A BOX not a bubble envelope, with tons of padding

and . . .
    one small socket wrench socket.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

Hopefully this will help.
    Page down to Managing Attatchments and Images.
    I didn't learn how to post photos from it so let us know if it is old info. The soft ware was "updated" recently. I WAS using photo bucket until recently when I gave SawMill bucks and they let me post more photos here without going to PhotoBucket.

Basically you put your photo on your desk top, choose a really small if not the smallest size file size, use Go Advanced in the reply screen that you always use to reply to a thread, choose the Manage Attatchements screen and it will give you a list of files on your desk top and you select the photo from that list and up load it to SawMill and click on done.
    It can be a bit tricky if you don't click ALL of the OK . .. Yes . . . Upload . . . Upload now . . . and . . . No really I want to upload NOW buttons.

Just F around with it.
    I mean what is the worst thing that could happen ? Right ?
    Oh . . .
    you could wind up sending secret US government files to the evil empires of the world . . .
    granted . . .
    but that is a risk we all take and worth it to be able to post photos of dollar finds at the flea market.
    I think.
    Last edited by Winton Applegate; 07-06-2014 at 6:31 PM.
    But
    Better is Better.

Couple of random thoughts about files.

Bahco what? Bahcos are the best right now, but you won't find much in the way of small files with very sharp edges. Do what you need to about that. I'm satisfied to use the files slightly less sharp cornered than most, but that really does lead to some packing of wood in the gullets. There is nothing that I have that I won't sharpen with a 5 xx slim (I have saws up to 16 points) - do have a 20 point gents saw, too, but a saw like that only has to have some semblance of teeth to cut small things well.

Mcmaster used to ship nicholson for big files and grobet swiss for small. They charged a little over 4 bucks at the time for grobet swiss small files. It was awesome.

It sounds like all of the grobet files are going downhill somewhat. If they are passable in the xx slim for small saws, that's fine still. Of all of the saws that can get away without having perfect teeth, small rip saws are it.

When you get to the point that you're sick of getting saws, you'll be able to touch up a dovetail saw a dozen times with one file. There's a lot of sawing that goes on in a dozen refilings.
    Jeez the bahcos are really really nice in the sizes you can get them, though.

Might as well get several years' worth of files now, and keep auto tool world (who ships bahcos) on speed order if you're going to restore long saws. I recut the tooth line almost 2/3rds height on an old 5 point disston saw with one file and still had a fresh edge left on the last pass after getting everything in order. When you can take a saw that's way out of whack and get it back to good in one file, that's good.

There's no reason to joint a saw that's getting a little dull if the tooth line is straight. That's a waste of files unless you're sharpening for pay (and people expect everything to look a certain way). A good user can refile a saw several times before needing even a light joint. A really good user (someone like warren), I'd be curious, but I'd bet a lot more than several times before rejointing. In the days when a couple of files cost a day's pay, I'll bet the guys sharpening saws knew how to remove the minimum of metal to get a good edge of teeth - such a thing would stretch a file.

Bahco

They make really flat card scrapers.
    Other than maybe LN my Bahco scrapers are head and shoulders and knees too above the other useless stuff other brands sell as thin card scrapers.

I know I am dangerously “different” than some but have you considered just using these to sharpen western saws. Woh, the price has gone up a bit . . . I bet you can do better. Doesn’t do the cut on both sides of the gullet (when using a narrow file in a wider gullet) that the traditional western saw file does but high quality and not abused in storage and shipping before you get them.
    Last edited by Winton Applegate; 07-06-2014 at 7:18 PM.
    But
    Better is Better.

I have about a half dozen of those. You can't be surprised by that

They are just so thin compared to the profile of the tooth, they'd be trouble.

With a good bahco file, the saw sharpening experience is super pleasant on all but the largest of screech making teeth, which you just file a little uphill if correcting a sawplate, and go straight across only for the finish.

It's hard in my low-brow terms and lifestyle to explain how wonderful a good file like the bahco is in the cut - it gives the same smooth zzzzzzzzzzzzziiiiippp through material that a good rip saw does in an ideal rip cut. Where it feels like you're doing the maximum amount of work you could possibly do while maintaining the pleasant work.

Zzzzzzzziiiiiiiiip

Where it feels like you're doing the maximum amount of work you could possibly do while maintaining the pleasant work.
    Heaven on earth.
    But
    Better is Better.