Thread: where do you buy your saw files

where do you buy your saw files

Now that I can see the teeth of my saws, I need some files. Where is a good source of quality files? What sizes do you use the most?

Brian ))
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

There are plenty of sources for tooth count, but the best thing to tell you what you should use is experience.

I buy bahco taper files in sets of 10 from autotoolworld.com. They are just drop shipping from williams tool (which I guess is a division of snapon). They are the only really consistently good files left in the US. The pages on that site suggest that you can buy one file at a time, but you can't. They will send you an email telling you that you must buy 10 (because williams tool is just drop shipping boxes of files, not individual files).

If I need xx slim taper, I buy them from wherever is convenient at the time, like any of the ww suppliers, but the prices on those files are usually high per file, so I don't buy that many and I get by with the x slim smaller files in bahco's make where I can get away with it.

Spend $60 or whatever and get one of the filer sample sets with a handle or two and see what sizes you like. Buying files in boxes of 10 gets expensive quickly, and if you're not filing saws on a regular basis, you could end up with a lot of boxes of files that you may not use very quickly (or at all).

At this point, though, they are a commodity and one not too common, so if you have a box of 10, I'd bet you could list them as an auction on ebay and some dope would pay new price or more for a box of 10. I've seen a lot of files selling on ebay for more than new bahcos cost, and I haven't used a vintage file that's any better than new bahco files.

I just recently bought the Grobet saw files from Lee Valley and am happy with them. I have heard good things about Bahco as David said too.

I also have been pleased with the saw file holder that LV sells.

I got my first few files from Lie Nielsen, then picked up the assortment with roll from Lee Valley when they started offering it.

http://www.lie-nielsen.com/files/
    http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/pag...072,43089&ap=1

Thanks!

Is there a big difference in quality or would a few of these be fine...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work