Thread: JT Turning Tools has a new gadget

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    IMO, much of "our" (turners) concern about how even or thin the walls are on our vessels isn't shared by the buying public. They seem to be drawn by other factors and first impressions. I rarely have anyone feel the inside or seem interested in the wall thickness or how even it is. They do occasionally comment on the lightness of the piece, which, of course, is a result of thinness. We, myself included, still strive for these things and it probably derives from what we want other turners to think of our work.
    Last edited by John Keeton; 07-19-2014 at 1:45 PM.

I agree John. The exception however is if one intends to pierce. In that case, thinner is better......esthetically.
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    IMO, much of "our" (turners) concern about how even or thin the walls are on our vessels isn't shared by the buying public. They seem to be drawn by other factors and first impressions. I rarely have anyone feel the I side or seem interested in the wall thickness or how even it is. They do occasionally comment on the lightness of the piece, which, of course, is a result of thinness. We, myself included, still strive for these things and it probably derives from what we want other turners to think of our work.
    John, I agree with your comment 100%. And I would also add that I think we sometimes get so caught up in the technical aspects, including wall thickness, that we loose sight of the artistic qualities of what we're turning. That's not to say that there aren't good reasons for getting consistency in wall thickness, and there are certainly some good, basic design principles that make a piece nice to look at. But I can't count the number of great pieces of wood I've sent flying across the shop just because I thought I needed to get that last 1/8" of wood out of the bottom where no one but another wood turner would ever even notice.

As for the fancy new tools that look into the unknown, I think they would be a great advantage for turning away wood where you can't see what you're doing. But what I'd really like to see someone invent would be a deep boring bar on a captured or articulated system that can defy the laws of physics and make a smooth cut at the bottom of a 10-12" deep hollowform, in endgrain, hanging out a foot or so over the tool rest, and through a 1" opening. THAT would get my attention.

You can reverse the Oneway 2-wheel steady
    Thanks Wally. I've never tried that. I just assumed the wheels needed to support the spot the tool was "talking to". With a bit of luck, tomorrow may allow some shop time. I will try your tip.
    I also hollow smaller pieces with an old Stewart armbrace. The laser takes the guesswork away but I still find pride in successfully hollowing to a thickness of my choosing and a consistency that is somehow "almost good enough."
    faust