Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3mm 12x24 ply

Blog Entries

3mm 12x24 ply

Anyone got a decent bulk seller for these?

I have bought out 2 local Menards.
    http://www.menards.com/main/home-dec...56-c-12188.htm

Would be nice to find a cheaper price and be able to order a bulk of them rather than one at a time at the local stores.

Menards sells a 12x12
    http://www.menards.com/main/home-dec...55-c-12188.htm
    But its a lot more expensive (by the sq-ft) than the larger sheet is.

It doesn't have to be this exact brand. Just any 3mm bb/b or better ply.
    [SIZE=1]Generic Chinese 50w 300x500
    Lulzbot TAZ 5 3D Printer

Corel X7, Photoshop CS6, Lightroom 4
    Modo, Bryce, Poser

If You Can Read, Thank A Teacher. If You Can Read It In English, Thank A Veteran
    That's what you do in a herd: you look out for each other. - Manny from Ice Age

Blog Entries
    Hey, while I got the thread...any leads on 3mm MDF in 12x24 ish sizes?
    Lulzbot TAZ 5 3D Printer

Modo, Bryce, Poser

If You Can Read, Thank A Teacher. If You Can Read It In English, Thank A Veteran

Mike, have you tried this place....

http://www.alpineplywood.com

You'll probably have to buy 5' x 5' sheets, but you'd save some serious money. Probably enough to buy a saw if you needed one

They should be local to you.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Blog Entries
    Didn't see anything on their site about thicknesses. Doubt they carry these thin sheets given the rest of their lineup appears to be interior design and that involves much thicker panels. They also seem geared toward wholesaling rather than sales to individuals like myself.

Couldn't hurt a phone call. Silver Spring drive is up on the northwest side of Milwaukee and I am on the southeast but if they got what I need, it would save bucks on shipping to drive up to get it.

And I will have to mention their poor photoshopping ability. Man..that truck on their banner was SO not on that road. The shadow is under it, the rest of the shadows are from right to left indicating the sun was low and to the right yet there is a specular highlight on the grill showing the sun was behind the photographer of the truck. And if you look close, there is NO DRIVER! Rofl!
    Lulzbot TAZ 5 3D Printer

Modo, Bryce, Poser

Blog Entries
    They do sell 5'x5' sheets of the 3mm for around $15 per and 26+ at $12 per. They also have 4x8 MDF for $11ish a sheet.
    And yea, they have a willcall desk for walkins

Sux, is they are 5' wide. I can't get 5' wide in my pickup (Esclade EXT). 4x8 is a go but 5' wide isn't. Guess I could bring some 2x4's and set them at an angle to support the 5x5 sheets at an angle in the bed. This is thn stuff and likely would crack if unsupported.
    Lulzbot TAZ 5 3D Printer

Modo, Bryce, Poser

Great Mike! I mentioned it because we buy ours from a place that sells that same stuff. Take a saw with you and an extension cord

Some places will even cut it a little (they don't want to cut it all to size, but don't mind cutting a piece here and there).

Glad it worked out, I think you'll be happy doing it like that. You'll get a lot more product for less money. Just be aware, that stuff bows like nobody's business, especially in sheet form, so make sure it's stored flat with weights on if it you can.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Michael Kowalczyk <displayideas@sbcglobal.net

Not sure of size or price but give him a try.

12 x 24 $70.86/box

25 sheets in a box

Here is a source I've gotten some from: http://www.thewoodcraftshop.com/stor...od&submit=true
    Laser: ULS M300-50 watts, ULS X25-75 watt, Chinese 100 and 150 watt
    Software: Corel Draw, Corel PhotoPaint X8, Aspire, MasterCam, Fusion 360
    CNC: Rockler 60th Anniversary Edition CNC Shark, EZ-Route CNC
    Kingsley Hot Stamp machine
    "Out of my mind....Back in 5 minutes"

Michael Kowalczyk is a member here and sells good ply. I have bought from him more than once.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Blog Entries
    Thanks guys! Yall are a great help getting started with supplies.

The price that Mr. Kowalczyk has is better than the local store. At least at face value. Shipping may alter that though.

Menards Local Stores (most expensive):
    3mm X 12" X 24" Craft Plywood $3.49 (2 square feet)
    $0.19 tax
    $3.68
    /2 = $1.84 sqFt

The Woodcraft Shop (cheaper)
    10/PCS - 12" X 24" - 1/8" ITALIAN POPLAR $31.95
    Shipping ??? Won't say.
    $31.95/10 = $3.19 /sheet
    /2 = $1.59 sqFt
    Its Poplar not birch. Popler is a much more blond wood than birch. Both good and bad there. Wish they had walnut 3mm ply.
    If shipping is $5 or more, cheaper to buy Menards.

Mr. Kowalczyk (cheaper)
    12 x 24 $70.86/box
    25 sheets in a box
    Shipping?
    $70.86/25 = $2.83 /sheet
    /2 = $1.42 sqFt
    So, if shipping is close to $20 or more, its cheaper buying it from Menards stores.

Alpine (cheapest):
    5'x5' = $15.60 /25 = $0.62 sqFt
    If I buy 26 at a time...
    $12 /25 = $0.48 sqFt (can't remember exact price, but it was 12 something)
    Slight hassle with 5x5 sheets getting them home. But clearly worth the effort due to the cost savings.

So, does anyone have cheaper sources?
    Lulzbot TAZ 5 3D Printer

Modo, Bryce, Poser

Check whether Alpine has a panel saw and will cut the sheets down for you. The place I buy 5x5s from doesn't charge for the cutting, and cuts full sheets for me to nominal 12"x24" pieces (plus a 12"x12" left-over). Even if you have to pay for cuts, it probably would be worth it. If they won't cut to your bed size, maybe they will rip off a strip or two so you can fit the pieces into your vehicle.

Have a Blessed day,

Michael Kowalczyk

Laser-Trotec Speedy II 60 watt with 9.4.2 job control and will soon upgrade to JC X
    Corel Draw Suite X6, FlexiSign Pro 8.62, AI CS3 and Lasertype6

CNC Routers-Thermwood model C40 with 4th axis. Thermwood Model 42 with dual tables and dual spindles with ATC for high production runs,
    ArtcamPro 2010_SP4, EnroutePro 5.1, BobCad v21 & v24, Aspire v8 and Rhino 5.
    FOTC link
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/friends.php?cp=210&lp=0&t=0&q=

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kowalczyk View Post
    Thanks guys.
    I can't post prices here but
    Mike Audleman is not correct. The one he is using, Pete's, included shipping to a residential address (I think).
    PM Me or go to the FOTC area and send me an email to get the CORRECT pricing and more info.

There are several things not taken into consideration... Travel time (to and from), Gas, accuracy of cuts, proper blade, storage, lack of packaging to protect it from elements (humidity) direction of grain, laser experience with exact same material. We use what we sell

Sorry could not remove the underline.
    Rofl. I see what you mean by the underline

FYI, click inside the text (its a link) and click the break link icon on the toolbar. It will remove the underline (link).

Sending PM shortly.

The only price I had was one quoted to me.
    Lulzbot TAZ 5 3D Printer

Modo, Bryce, Poser

Hey Mike,
    Thanks for the "Break Link" info

PM sent back to you
    Have a Blessed day,

Michael Kowalczyk

Laser-Trotec Speedy II 60 watt with 9.4.2 job control and will soon upgrade to JC X
    Corel Draw Suite X6, FlexiSign Pro 8.62, AI CS3 and Lasertype6

CNC Routers-Thermwood model C40 with 4th axis. Thermwood Model 42 with dual tables and dual spindles with ATC for high production runs,
    ArtcamPro 2010_SP4, EnroutePro 5.1, BobCad v21 & v24, Aspire v8 and Rhino 5.
    FOTC link
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/friends.php?cp=210&lp=0&t=0&q=

I've been getting mine from Tower Hobbies. 3mm baltic birch. It's been cheaper than Michaels or Ben Franklin.

Jim Cochrun

Full Spectrum 5th Gen Hobby 40 watt