Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone running a Scag/Exmark/Ferris mower?

My next door neighbor has an Exmark sulky and his wife mows about half the time with it. my oter neghbor was a single woman about 100 LB and she had a scag walk behind with no sulky and didn't have a problem

I'd say it depends on whether you are looking at gear or hydro units. The controls tired my hands pretty quickly.

I'm not finding it to be the timesaver I'd hoped. The open areas go quick but it's slower on the tight areas and going around the trees and fence. It does a nicer job, something my wife noticed right away.

I previously had a 48" Ferris walk behind and 36" Snapper walk behind with sulkies for both. Both were workhorses with very few problems. I used them on 15-20 yards I was doing at that time from 1/2 to 3 acres. I currently have a 60" Bad Boy zero turn that has been trouble free for 2 years. Any of the true commercial quality mowers should hold up well for homeowner use. Mowing just your yard, 20+ years could be expected out of them.

Went up to the races at Crandon this weekend and Husky had a large display. Was looking at the PZ 60 zero turn. Very impressive. Very logical layout and has independant pumps and wheel motors. They gave me a card for another 10% off from your best deal. Looking around yesterday I think I can buy one for under $7k. List is $10,600.

More than I wanted to spend, but.......

Larry

That's the machine I had at the old house. I really liked it and it was a huge timesaver in my yard. 2-1/2 seasons of mowing I only had around 70 hours on it. That would have been 140+ on the tractor.

I have been using a SKAG Freedom-Z for a number of years now...LOVE it. The only thing I have done is replace the front tires/wheels with "no air" versions from a third party as some of the areas I mow were causing, um...unceremonious loss of air..when too much pressure hit the sidewall. That's not an issue for the SKAG...it would have happened with any machine.

ZTRs are designed for mowing. They typically run the blades at higher RPM so you can go faster where the terrain allows. And that higher blade RPM results in a really nice cut, too. My Kubota with the mid-mount mower did a nice job, but nothing like the ZTR. (I sold that deck after buying the dedicated mower)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have a Ferris IS2000 with just over 1000 hours on it - good ride for sure I have had a few problems with the interlock system and had the pumps rebuilt at ~850 hours still ran strong but leaked a lot of hydro oil. I had to replace the hoses to the wheel motors ~700 hours the suspension movement flexes them. All in all for the ride I am pretty pleased.