Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Benchcrafted new hardware.....

I have to say I was disappointed at first, keeping in my minds eye that "some day" I will build a bench with their hardware. However after giving it time to soak in and watching the videos I'm now of the mind that it's just not that big of a deal. I would be TOTALLY happy to have a bench with that wheel. The question now is what wood will they use now that Dymondwood burned to the ground?

http://benchcrafted.blogspot.com/201...s-no-more.html

I wonder if Benchcrafted is considering handles using the thermally treated maple that Lee Valley is using on their new line of custom B/D planes? I would be content with it.

I get the reasoning for having the old knob style. It does address a safety issue to keep your fingers from getting caught in a spinning wheel with alot of inertia. It also gives you two ways to spin the wheel; grab the knob and turn or just spin the wheel by it's outside edge.

This design makes me wonder if it's more bling-factor; the design doesn't appear to enable a person to spin the wheel in a different way and that brings back the issue of safety with fingers in the spokes. The wooden knobs seem unnecessary; why not just make the handles and the wheel a single casted part? Can't say I like it.
    Last edited by Mark AJ Allen; 09-18-2014 at 8:41 PM.

George,
    How common? Not very, the number found "in the wild" is so far in single digits. They all appear to be built from the same castings (per Don Williams) but are slightly different.
    Piano makers only? So far. Seems that making piano "actions" (key to hammer) is possibly the last true woodworking craft passed from master to apprentice. There is more written about making harpsichords than pianos. BTW, harpsichords function completely differently than pianos.
    It is a mystery why the wheels on their benches, expect some more information and speculation when Don finishes his book on Studley.

Personally, I like the idea of a wheel, but then I have many hours in on milling machines using handwheels to control the cutter.
    Mike

George, the comment re: harpsichord function is meant for other readers who may not be aware - I expect you could give me chapter and verse on the differences (grin)
    Last edited by mike holden; 09-19-2014 at 10:34 AM.
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!