Thread: How do I get rid of a redirect virus

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries
    I worked and worked on removing a redirect virus on SWMBO's computer. Thought I had it a couple of times, but it continued to be slow and would send her to all sorts of places she didn't want to go. I finally gave up and did system refresh which is a new feature of Windows 8. It worked great. It put back the OS like it came from the store, but did not delete her data. I had her back up like on a brand new PC in no time (Well, it took several hours, but it was much less time than I had spent trying to get rid of that stupid virus!)

Say what you will about Windows 8, but it has some nice features, that are not related to those stupid tiles. Some of the backup and restore features are really pretty nice.
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 09-19-2014 at 5:30 PM.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Sounds like you should try spybot, in safe mode.
    Paul

I download the free trial of Vipre antivirus and that took care of my wifes

I ended up getting rid of the redirect virus (I hope) by doing a scan after I purchased Malwarebytes Pro. It let me know that my "proxy server" had been changed, I set it back to where it should be and so far all is well. The redirect would send me to a Adobe Flash Drive site and claim that my Flash Drive was out of date and would send me to a site that tried to get me to update the drivers on my Windows 7 platform. I did not click on OKAY, I shut the page off and was able (in most cases) to continue on to the site I was trying to load. I will post if I actually did not get rid of the virus after a day or so of use.
    David B

Do a System Restore to and Earlier Date and pick a date when all was well. I've had to do this a couple of times. Very annoying and you'll lose whatever happened between those dates unless you get lucky and can save it first.
    You can walk with a wooden leg but you can't see with a glass eye - Always were Eye Protection!

Richard M.
    That was the first thing I tried. My computer was previously owned by an elderly gentleman and he never set this computer up to set restore points and I did not realize this and when I tried there were none available. I have been using the computer daily since the 19th without any redirects.
    David B