Thread: A Video for Tool Collectors

Nice video, thanks for sharing. Googling, it seems that Ken died this past August.

Blog Entries
    That was kind of fun.

Thanks for posting,

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Very interesting video!

Thanks for the link. It would be an amazing collection to study someday.

Wow. Just...wow...

Seemed like a neat fella. Definitely a wealth of knowledge.

Here's a link to his obit:

http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2.../19/ken-hawley
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for sharing. Love this guy. He seems to know every detail and history of every tool he owns.

I recently met a guy here on the tiny island where I live who has over 2,000 hand planes from jointers to smothers to moulding planes. I have lived here 14 years and he has lived here much longer. I constantly get told, "Oh, you need to meet (name withheld out of respect for his privacy), he has tons of planes." I always figured it was exaggeration by people that don't woodwork, and the guy probably had a few Stanley's and some wooden planes. Finally my friend set up a meeting and told me to bring a tool to start the discussion. I had just gotten a bronze LN small scraper, and so I brought it. Ha! I was embarrassed once I learned what all this guy had. He owns a plane from Francis Nicholson, believed to be the first planemaker in America. He also has a #9 that he lent to a certain well-known tool guy when he wanted to produce a #9. We talked forever. I concluded by saying, "It sure is nice to talk to someone about a #1 and #2 without them thinking you are talking about bowel movements." I still can't believe all these historic planes have been here all along and I only just formally met the guy, and I have met him informally many times (small island- you've pretty much bumped into everyone somewhere before) without knowing he was the guy with all the planes. I am soon going to get to peruse the whole collection, and finally get to hold a Norris infill smoother in my hand.

Glad everyone enjoyed the video. I thought you would and also expected that some were already familiar with it.

Malcome, that is an interesting story - something similar sometimes happens to me when a chance discussion with and old acquaintance turns into a "difficult to stop "talking session about all the interests we have in common - and I never realized it before. Of course, I never had your opportunity to meet a serious plane collector.

I hope more forum members take a look at this video.

Don

Those of you who want to learn more and want a piece of British sawmaking history ought to read this too:

http://www.wkfinetools.com/hUK/z-UKR...ey-Book-01.asp

Simon Barley spent a lot of time with Ken Hawley and has just recently published a book about the Bristish sawmakers.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Rust never sleeps
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/77333663@N07/sets