Thread: An opportunity to get it right, ask a few questions....

An opportunity to get it right, ask a few questions....

Hi! I have a great workshop space, it's 29' x 15'. I have about 2 weeks to modify it finally! After doing the wall insulation, dry walling and plastering (always fun, right?) things are humming along. I have 2 work benches, 4' x 8' & 3' x 5'. The 4'x 8' acts as an out feed for a 10" Dewalt table saw and the 3'x 5' is used for housing all the tool cases, some hardware trays.

The main function of the shop is creating cedar products for gardeners for example drying trays, trellises, seed storage boxes, etc. so I don't have a wide woodworking skill set (yet) like most of you seem to. The basic tools are table saw, dewalt mitre saw with its own stand, a drill press, sanders, table top bandsaw and hand tools (screw guns, planes, etc, etc.)

What's your opinion on building a wall bench as opposed to having a free standing, tool specific stands?

What about the height(s)? Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Judi Watson; 11-04-2014 at 9:14 PM.

Not sure I understand the question, but all my tools are on their own stands.

I'd leave it alone if it works for you. You would know better than any of us if it did not. There is no magic. You have done great with your tools and available space. Just my opinion.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

The thing I have found is that any horizontal surface is an open invitation to collect stuff. Unless you're OCD about putting things away after use, you'll quickly find stuff building up on any flat surface. I actually got rid of any flat surface except for my bench and the table saw outfeed table. That kinda forces me to put things away when i'm done with them and allows a happier, cleaner shop.
    John
    ...And now, back to your regularly scheduled shop time...

Welcome. I don't think there is a right answer.

I'll post another photo when I finish the changes, it does quite work at the moment because of the new tools. Thanks for your input I appreciate that.

Thanks John, I do have a mild case of OCD which might help. Its time to make the shop workflow work and find good places for tools to live. That's the main issue for tacking this, I appreciated your input thanks

Agree with John Shaffner above on the horizontal catch-alls.You have to be very careful in this respect.For a little brain food(not necessarily a solution to your issue though),think about a typical auto tech's big,say Snap-On,toolbx.The kind that basically has no horz. surface.This is the chest on chest style.Tools get put away because there's no place for them to be otherwise.

So,think about that.Vertical storage and horizontal work stations.....both do what they do very well.It's when you try the other way 'round that things get messy.

Bench height;one school is to have sub stations or bxs(might even BE a rollaround mech. lower unit) that fit under the bench top.These are neat because they're sort of self cleaning.....you can't roll the sub box under if it has projects/tools on top.Sort of forces you to maintain some organisation,which IMO is the "key"........don't allow the shop to get messy in the first place,and you won't be spending time cleaning.Very best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W Smith View Post
    Agree with John Shaffner above on the horizontal catch-alls.You have to be very careful in this respect.For a little brain food(not necessarily a solution to your issue though),think about a typical auto tech's big,say Snap-On,toolbx.The kind that basically has no horz. surface.This is the chest on chest style.Tools get put away because there's no place for them to be otherwise.

So,think about that.Vertical storage and horizontal work stations.....both do what they do very well.It's when you try the other way 'round that things get messy.

Bench height;one school is to have sub stations or bxs(might even BE a rollaround mech. lower unit) that fit under the bench top.These are neat because they're sort of self cleaning.....you can't roll the sub box under if it has projects/tools on top.Sort of forces you to maintain some organisation,which IMO is the "key"........don't allow the shop to get messy in the first place,and you won't be spending time cleaning.Very best of luck.
    That makes a lot of sense, thanks Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Welcome. I don't think there is a right answer.
    Thank you. Agreed, I wonder if there are better ways to determine a good shop workflow though.

Well, here's the follow up pic....
    image.jpg