Thread: Finish Help - Clear without amber tint

Finish Help - Clear without amber tint

I'm building a crib out of maple and would like to keep the maple as white as possible. Should I go with a waterborne lacquer or is there a better choice.
    Thanks,
    Greg

The waterborn line up from Target Coatings is clear, and super durable. It should be sprayed, though.
    Go Big, or Go Home... He who has the gold, makes the rules

Scott,
    Spraying is not a problem. I had planned on spraying anyway didn't really feel like brushing or wiping 52 spindles!!

I love target's wb lacquer. Sprays on nicely and is tough. My wife likes it far better than a poly finish. On the practical side, you can spray a couple coats in one day. I usually spray the first coat on an wait overnight to let get hard then I used 320 to sand off the nibs and spray one or two more coats that day.
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

I checked out the description for the USL and it states that it is engineered to provide the discriminating finisher with the vintage straw-like color. So does this mean that I will get the amber tone that I would with solvent based lacquer? If so then I would almost prefer solvent based since you can recoat that in about 1/2 hr.

go to your finish supplier and ask for "water clear" or "water white" lacquer. this is still a solvent borne lacquer but doesn't have the slight color.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

In general, waterborne finishes do not stand up well to agressive cleaning products containing ammonia nor do they do well with the ammonia stuff that comes out of little babies. Oil based is more durable.
    Howie.........

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Acheson
    In general, waterborne finishes do not stand up well to agressive cleaning products containing ammonia nor do they do well with the ammonia stuff that comes out of little babies. Oil based is more durable.
    Disclaimer; I've never used ammonia on my kitchen table (there is no reason to)..... BUT...

First, "in general", Target coatings are more of an industrial quality finish, and don't fall into the "in general" category of WB finishes that you buy at the local "Borg" or hardware store.

Second, my kitchen table is a testament to the durability of water based product. WB finishes not being durable is an OLD WIVES TALE! My kitchen table looks as good as it did 5 years ago when I put the Target Emtech sealer, and water based polyeurethane on it!!!!

This is the waterbased poly I use. http://www.targetcoatings.com/produc...uperclear.html

I used a heat gun to "cure" it about 2 days after I finished it. TOUGH AS NAILS, and CRYSTAL CLEAR. I"ve never tried their USL, but I believe Jim has, and has reported good results.

My intent is NOT to hurt anyones feelings, or opinions. These are the facts, based on MY experience. I am not in any way affiliated with Target, just a very, very, happy customer. I will likely NEVER use a solvent based finish again, after converting to Target.....
    Go Big, or Go Home... He who has the gold, makes the rules

I used the ultima spray lacquer on my maple kitchen cabinets.Nothing could have been easier. I used a cheap 40.00 HVLP gun. I used zinsser seal coat to seal the wood and give a slight amber tint.If you want no tint you can use one of there sealers.I was able to put on 3 to 4 coats on in a afternoon. Sanding with 400 wet/dry paper between coats.I understand why you want a clear finish especially on maple I hated the look of oil based poly.