Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Craftsman Saw

I haven't seen one of the alleged saws in person, but I have seen many articles about them in the various woodworking magazines. It sounds like Dale may talking apples while the rest of you are talking oranges. Maybe Dale could take a picture of the model he's looking at and post it for us?
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis McDonaugh
    I haven't seen one of the alleged saws in person, but I have seen many articles about them in the various woodworking magazines. It sounds like Dale may talking apples while the rest of you are talking oranges. Maybe Dale could take a picture of the model he's looking at and post it for us?
    The one he has is an older one, i think he mentioned it was like 6 years old. The orion built saw is only about a year or two old.

This is the one i bought for $535:

OK Dale here it is.

The first shot shows the trunnion. If you were to reach in & feel around you would find out that you could put your finger between the bottom of the table top & on top of the head of the bolt that goes down through the trunnion bolting it to the top of the cabinet.

Also you'll notice that the closest place where the trunnion could be bolted other than where trunnion is bolted to the cabinet would be where the old style contractors saw is bolted to the top right next to the boss where the blade carriage hangs & slides to tilt, you'll please notice there is no bolt there. The trunnion hangs free suspended from the cabinet.

Yes indeed the trunnion is mounted to the cabinet & not to the bottom of the table.

If the trunnion was bolted to the bottom of the table there would be no reason for the cast iron trunnion to run all the way over to the side of the cabinet & have a bolt going down through it & through the cabinet top flange.. You'll notice there is a bolt in front of the trunnion bolt & nut going up through the cabinet flange bolting the top to the cabinet.

NO THESE SAWS ARE NOT LIKE YOUR OLD C-MAN SAW.
    Though the trunnions are not as heavy as a full blown cabinet saw they are quite a bit heavier than you old C-Man saw.

The second shot shows the saw & you'll notice it is not the full cabinet style model but the next step down BUT the mechanical parts are the same. My store didn't have the full cabinet model.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bart Leetch; 10-19-2005 at 12:50 PM.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Bart, I know you really used Photoshop to make it look that way
    By the way, I did't know Whidbey Island was big enough for their own Sears store !
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

Oak Harbor now has a Home Depot a Wal Mart a K Mart Shirwin Williams is moving in right now & a Big 5 Sporting Goods, AppleBee's & 5 Auto parts stores & an Ace store.

We are getting more P3 squadrons on the Navy base as well as their converting over in the next few years from the EA6B aircraft to the Radar Jamming F18.

Its boom town USA.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Donley
    By the way, I did't know Whidbey Island was big enough for their own Sears store !
    The town motto is, "Cheer up, you could be on Adak!"
    (related to me years ago by a Rockwell field engineer who worked there)
    Last edited by Lee DeRaud; 10-19-2005 at 5:22 PM.

[QUOTE=Bart Leetch]The first shot shows the trunnion. ...Yes indeed the trunnion is mounted to the cabinet & not to the bottom of the table...

NO THESE SAWS ARE NOT LIKE YOUR OLD C-MAN SAW.
    Though the trunnions are not as heavy as a full blown cabinet saw they are quite a bit heavier than you old C-Man saw.

...snip. QUOTE] Bart - Thanks for taking the time to post a pic and put this to rest. The wider trunnions are at least part of the reason the saws are so heavy. (319#, 385#, 425# respectively). Now go treat yourself to a nice porterhouse at Applebee's!
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Glad we got some pics...I have seen one in person a t a friend's house so I knew they were NOTHING like the old Ryobi made saws.

came across this picture on craftsman website..

cant argue with that...

Dan Bussiere Guest
    I quit coming here a couple of years ago because of the tool bashing that was starting to take place. I haven't been here in almost two years and I see it wasn't long enough yet. Please guys and gals, share your love for woodworking not your poor judgement on bashing others tools. What a shame!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Bussiere
    I quit coming here a couple of years ago because of the tool bashing that was starting to take place. I haven't been here in almost two years and I see it wasn't long enough yet. Please guys and gals, share your love for woodworking not your poor judgement on bashing others tools. What a shame!
    Sure, but without all these all these dead horses to flog, where would we get our glue?

Boxers or briefs? Ginger or MaryAnn? Festool or EZSmart? Normite or Neander?
    The great religious controversies of our time.

(Sorry...it's 8AM, my back is killing me, and the ibuprofen is taking bloody forever to kick in.)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Bussiere
    Dan, you're a hard man to please. What woodworking sites do you frequent? I haven't seen another woodworking site where disagreements are handled in the manner they are here. No name calling, no foul language no personal attacks. When a thread gets out of hand (and they do on occasion) they are pulled by the moderator. Come on back and enjoy the threads that appeal to you and don't read the ones that you don't care for.
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud
    Sure, but without all these all these dead horses to flog, where would we get our glue?

Boxers or briefs? Ginger or MaryAnn? Festool or EZSmart? Normite or Neander?
    The great religious controversies of our time.

(Sorry...it's 8AM, my back is killing me, and the ibuprofen is taking bloody forever to kick in.)
    Mary Ann of course.
    Dennis

Hands down --- Mary Ann
    Only the Blue Roads

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hoyt
    Hands down --- Mary Ann
    Hands up --- Ginger.

Oh...that's not what you meant? Never mind...