Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Engraving Leather

I must be weird because I like the smell of burning leather. To me it smells like steak cooking. Mmmmmm.

yep your weird
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

The only caveat to etching some leathers, is with Black Leather. I usually warn my customers that I have had black leather turn everything from bright white, to so dark you have trouble seeing it. Black leather is a complete crap shoot as far as etch colour is concerned, and you will never know what the etch colour will be until the beam hits it. It's best to find a spot, or a insert (if it's a wallet for example) and do a test spot.
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Since I make leather belts for a living, I bought my laser engraver mainly for engraving leather. I haven't had any problem at all. Here's a picture of a new kid's belt and buckle set I'm doing. Natural vegetable leather does engrave wonderfully.

Laser engraved kids belt.jpg

Andy,

Thats a very nice belt...beautiful work.
    And welcome to The Creek.