Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: small random orbit sanders

small random orbit sanders

Good morning:

I was sanding a large bowl (16") made from figured western maple. It has 4 coats of tung oil on it, the first a 30% mix of tung oil and thinner, the 2nd 50%, then 70% and the last straight tung oil. I waited 24 hrs between coats and started sanding 48 hrs after the last coat. The shop temp is ~ 15 degrees C. Before applying the tung oil the bowl was sanded to 320 grit. Final finish used was the Beall system

I've usually use a drill with sanding pads attached to do most of my sanding. This leaves the usual pattern of sanding marks which i then deal with by hand sanding. Because of the size of the bowl and the added hassles of the tung oil I eventually resorted to using a 5" random orbit sander. Because of the shallow curvatures it worked really well, Saved a lot of time and it did a good job.

Has anyone seen in their travels a 2" OR 3" R O sander. It would make the smaller projects that much easier. I could not find anything on the net.

Thanks
    Alex
    Last edited by alex penner; 12-26-2014 at 12:48 PM.

I have this one from metabo. It works very well on bowls.

http://www.amazon.com/Metabo-SXE400-.../dp/B00004YBX5

If you have air, there are several small ones that do a very good job. I don't have enough air to power them, so went with this one.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Thanks Grant. This is a perfect solution. This is also an amazing site with a great group of people. It took a whole 15 minutes to come up with the solution.

The Arbortech random orbital sander that fits on an angle grinder looks like it should do a good job.

http://www.arbortechusa.com/view/woo...random-sander/

I have a Grex brand random orbit sander. Works very well for me but, I do have a five horsepower air compressor. Uses a two or there inch pad. I have always used two inch.

I have this one from HF, if you're on a budget or want to get one for each grit. http://www.harborfreight.com/air-ang...der-93629.html The abrasive disks that came with were worthless, but I got some good ones at Craft Supply. It has worked well for me, but like John, I have a big compressor.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

I have a Dynabrade 3" Random Orbit ( Pneumatic ) which has a dust collection tube on it.. It works well but uses a pile of air.

Don: I bought the arbortech one and am not impressed so far. My bad. The big deal for me is that it uses PSA paper. I knew that when I bought it and should have thought more. I use several grits on a bowl,for example. After removing one grit and going to the next, the first one is not strong enough to stick back on again. So, it's wasted. I'm going to try gluing a hook and loop disk onto the mandrel, then I can use hook and loop paper. I would think it would work, but the arbortech people say they tried it and the paper would not hold. I'm going to try anyway, as I have nothing to lose. It will take away from the flexibility of the arbor, though.

Arbortech is now coming out with a retro-fit screw for holding the paper on. Apparently, the PSA paper has been failing. The new screw will actually poke through the paper and screw it onto the mandrel. It will likely work, but it will mean that to change grits, you'll need to remove a screw. That will not be practical for me.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

The big deal for me is that it uses PSA paper
    Why not buy a sticky pad with velcro. You can cut your own own a sheet.

So the Grex is $109 on Amazon.com and $210 on Amazon.ca. Sometimes it's grand to be Canadian.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Mezzatesta View Post
    So the Grex is $109 on Amazon.com and $210 on Amazon.ca. Sometimes it's grand to be Canadian.
    That always irritates this Canadian as well.

Faust: That is what I meant when I said that I was going to glue some hook and loop onto the mandrel.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

@Doug. I have a PC 6hp, 26 gal compressor. I've used it for spraying and it works okay. It's not oil-less. I mostly use it with my nailers. I'm definitely interested in your suggestion but am wondering if my compressor is sufficient. I just do small stuff so it wouldn't be running continuously. I've been looking for a small ros rather than using a pad on my hand drill. I do have one of those non-powered sanders that I got from CSUSA. I watched the video and read reviews at the HF site. This may require a pressure regulator and a filter.

I do have a Bosch angle grinder and the Arbortech product looks good, too. Seems a little pricey for my limited use though.

Sorry, Alex--not trying to hijack your thread. Curious to know what you decided on. Thanks for posting your question.
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Smith View Post
    @Doug. I have a PC 6hp, 26 gal compressor. I've used it for spraying and it works okay. It's not oil-less. I mostly use it with my nailers. I'm definitely interested in your suggestion but am wondering if my compressor is sufficient. I just do small stuff so it wouldn't be running continuously. I've been looking for a small ros rather than using a pad on my hand drill. I do have one of those non-powered sanders that I got from CSUSA. I watched the video and read reviews at the HF site. This may require a pressure regulator and a filter.

I do have a Bosch angle grinder and the Arbortech product looks good, too. Seems a little pricey for my limited use though.

Sorry, Alex--not trying to hijack your thread. Curious to know what you decided on. Thanks for posting your question.
    Stan, the disks I got from Craft Supply were ordinary green 2" hook & loop sanding disks. If I recall, they weren't the cheapest, nor were they the most expensive. My compressor is a 6 HP 80 gallon. It cycles at about 100 psi and tops out around 150 psi. I think the pump is rated at 15 or so SCFM at 90 psi, which is where I run the sander. I haven't timed it, but I think I probably cycle the compressor after about 5 minutes of continuous use of the random orbit sander, with some time used to change grits or inspect what I've done. I also use HF angle air grinders with the exhaust at the rear, away from the work. They also use a lot of air, but on sale at around $11 each, I can have one with a 1" twist lock sanding disk, another for 2", another for 3", and more for the buffing pads and specialty sanders and rotary rasps.

The biggest issue with a compressor is the duty cycle rating of the motor. If it's 100%, you can go as long as you can stand the noise. If it's 20%, you'd have to stop and let it cool down after a few minutes use. I would guess my motor is running about half the time. Hope that helps.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

Thanks, Doug. That really does help. My 6hp, 26 gal compressor may be marginal, but for the limited use I would do, I think it will handle that sander for a few minutes at a time for my small projects.
    \
    stan
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith