Thread: Workbench Light Ideas

Blog Entries

Workbench Light Ideas

You will find several low cost workbench LED light possibilities at the following Ikea link.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/ca...ighting/20515/

I have one in my shop and it places light exactly where I want it.

This is the first that comes up for the link you posted. Pretty fancy for a shop light.

The link sent me to beds?

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I have one in my shop and it places light exactly where I want it.
    Which one? There's a whole page of different lights there.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Have one of the LED clamp lights. Move it from place to place. Now it is on a drum sander. It is simple, light weight and easy to move and adjust. Paid a buck for it at a yard sale and now I know where it came from. It worth list price.

Blog Entries
    I have one with a clamp. Popular Woodworking showed the lamps about a year ago in one of their blogs.

I've got one of these http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80169636/

and these http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20169658/

and they both work great.

I believe these were both discussed on Pop Woodworking's blog a couple times.
    War Eagle!

Blog Entries
    [I believe these were both discussed on Pop Woodworking's blog a couple times.[/QUOTE]
    They were. That's where I saw them and ordered one.

I love the big lamp I have on one of my workbenches. (it has a floodlight bulb)

Also, recommend the Lee Valley bushing:
    http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...,41637&p=70534

Matt

I had started a thread for work lights for my bandsaw but posting to this thread might even be more worthwhile to other members.

One thing I have noticed even about the Rocker that I purchased is that invariably these things end up bigger than their photos suggest. Even when they photograph work lights that I have seen on or with a piece of equipment that might give you some perspective, the light itself ends up larger when you actually get it than you were expecting. The snake is what fools you. It always looks smaller in diameter than it actually is which means that the shade or the lamp cover is larger in reality than the photo suggests. Now I bought the Rocker because I wanted to cast a wide beam as opposed to a narrowly focused beam. So the Rockler fits that bill. Have the mag-mount on the top surface of the upper wheel housing at he back. The Laguna 14 twelves have those rectangular wheel housings. So that is easy to do and I think will eliminate concern that vibration moves the mag-mt if mounted to the side of the saw housing. Now if I can just get past all the niggling BS this 14 twelve is causing me, I will be in business.

I use a Brooder clamp light sold by home depot,with a CFL in it.:

I might not be seeing the photo correctly but I like that grill protector over the light if that is what it is. I just bought a couple of the fluorescent bulbs that have a standard threaded base for my new work light. I decided to get the bulbs that have a silicon cover over the fluorescent. The pliable silicon cover is supposed to protect you if the bulb breaks but I figure it is as likely to protect the bulb if something is fired at it from out the business end of the bandsaw. The bulb might break but if it does, the pieces should be contained in the cover.

Bob Lang's article, if memory serves.

Mine is mounted permanently, and fills in where I can't
    get my overheads to cover.

I like the little Jansjo - that looks really handy.