Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I won't be able to use my new tools for awile. Should I return them?

I won't be able to use my new tools for awile. Should I return them?

Last week, spent a wonderful day in Muncy, Pa. with my father at the grizzly showroom. That place is simply amazing. Purchased a G0555lx, a 2hp dust collector, and a griz. track saw(figured for the price I'd give it a try) After arriving home, I didn't even get the tools out of my truck. I took a dive down my basement steps and tore a tendon in my knee. Looking like surgery, a cast, and a lengthy pt stint. Looks like it could be 5 months until I'm able to work in the shop.

I have concerns about just leaving stuff in the boxes in the shop. If there are any problems when I unpack the boxes or after I start using them it will be a long time since I purchased the items. Not sure if that will cause any problems with grizzly. I talked to grizzly and they said I can return the items if I like. What should I do? Return and rebuy after I'm better or take my chances?

They're packed with long term storage in mind....the bare cast surfaces normally have a liberal dose or cosmoline to protect them. The risk of returning them is they could go up in price, become back ordered, or no longer available. It also may not take that long for you to get them.....ultimately, it's your choice, but I'd be willing to wait.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Keep them, no question. They'll be motivation during PT!

You'll be unpacking them before you know it. Maybe even have a friend help you with the heavy stuff and you'll be able to play with them a biggie in the cast, and get the TS all calibrated and ready to cut when you're ready to.

Too bad about your injury. Real Bummer.

This way, you can ask a good friend to move all that stuff in for you, and set it up!
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

The only issue I can see with keeping them is that you get them out of the boxes and set them up, only to find that something is defective. It might be harder to convince grizzly that they should do a return for you if a lot of time has passed since purchase.

Do you have any friends you can talk into setting the machines up for you now so that you can check them out at least?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aeschliman View Post
    The only issue I can see with keeping them is that you get them out of the boxes and set them up, only to find that something is defective. It might be harder to convince grizzly that they should do a return for you if a lot of time has passed since purchase.

Do you have any friends you can talk into setting the machines up for you now so that you can check them out at least?
    That's a good point and a good idea...
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

My garage based shop is pretty much shut down that long every year - late November to late March.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I was in a car accident o few years ago that put me in a wheelchair for four months and crutches for almost a year. One of my first excursions on crutches was to woodcraft to buy a new table saw and some lumber. I had a pretty hard time setting it up but I think it saved at least a bit of my sanity. Being able to go to the shop and work an small projects was a great reason to get off the couch and feel productive. I also got a small lathe during my recovery and turned some pens, I don't use it anymore but the pens were a perfect project at the time. By the way I found the wheelchair easier to work from than the crutches because I could carry things, just roll from the table saw to the bench and prop myself up. I hope your recovery is fast and they don't hurt you too bad in pt! The girls who helped me seemed evil some days but effective.

Real sorry to hear about your injury.

I don't know what the warranty is on the Grizzly tools, but the only downside I see to keeping them is that you essentially lose that much warranty coverage. The suggestion to have friends setup and try them out is a good one if you keep them.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Chad,

Worst thing you could do is keep those tools onsite during your rehab. It will be extremely difficult to resist the temptation to dig into those boxes on some lonely Wednesday afternoon when you don't have anything else to do except watch another rerun of The Rockford Files. Your 5 months of rehab could easily turn into a 12 or 18 month ordeal. I'd suggest you let me come over and pick em up and put them to good use while your on the mend. That way you'll know they will be well taken care of and in working order when you get them back.

Best wishes on the recovery.I'd make uncrating/set up,"part" of the rehab?It should make you slow down on this important step.Get help with the heavy side of things.Also,there is going to be a lot of time where you will be doing nothing but cleanup(cosmoline).Take some pics of the equipment and present it to your PT.

The odds are they will be defective immediately (as were 2 of the 4 Grizzs I bought 2 years ago) or just fine. Since that will be in the warranty period, you should be fine. The hassle of having to return them and then buy them again would be more than I wanted to do.

I have found their CS to be pretty cooperative. You might send them a medical report and ask if they can make the warranty effective when you open the boxes. As long as it is only 5 months I don't see them objecting. Certainly they don't want you to return them; aside from their expense, you might buy a different brand next time.

The tools have been in boxes all the way from China. Why worry about such a needless thing?
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Thanks for the input all. Looks like I need to find someone to inspect the content of the boxes for damage and missing parts now, then have them help with the assembly when the time is right.

I guess I'm in the minority, but I would return them. No telling what might happen in 6 months, better tools might be released, you might change your mind, or something else could happen that would prevent you from ever using them.

Course it depends alot on how much of a hassle it was to get and return them.