Thread: Who tried new Naniwa Professional Stones (replacing Chosera)

Who tried new Naniwa Professional Stones (replacing Chosera)

Hi,

I currently own a chosera 1000. I'm happy with the stone, and wanted to upgrade my finer stones with the same kind (3000 or 5000). FOr this I currently own a King 4000, but it need soaking and does not work that well on A2 steel (and a 8000 Akatsuki).

But to my surprise (at least in Europe where I live) Chosera is replaced by a new serie : Professional Stones... I did not find much feedback or review on these stones. They're more expensive than the previous one, thinner, but Naniwa advertise them a more dish resistant.

Does any one had a chance to test drive or by some and could give us some feedback ?

Thank you.

Best Regards,
    Graween.

Blog Entries
    Howdy Erwin,

I do not have the water stones of your inquiry. However, if you use the Saw Mill Creek search function at the upper right of the page (may be different on other computers) using the term between the arrows > naniwa water stone < you will find earlier posts on the subject.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I think it's just a new name for an old stone line they have.

At least on ChefsKnivesToGo, they're advertising that the Professional is just the new name for the Choseras.

Blog Entries
    Same stone, new name, according to all the sources I have seen, except they are making them 5mm thinner, and not including the free nagura stone. You can still get the Choseras at a good price. I would go for them if I were you. Order direct from Japan at toolsfromjapan.com or other places. If you are on the Euro then you stand to save a lot with the value of the Yen at the moment.

Hi,

Thank you for the answers. Yes I did a search, but did not come across threads for the professional stones. I also think from what I read elsewhere, that globally they're the same that the Chosera, may be a little but enhanced.
    I'm thinking about getting a 3k or 5k and maybe.

Regards,
    Graween.

Blog Entries
    I have 800 and 3000 choseras for sale if anyone in interested. nothing wrong with them I've said it many times before they are the best water stones I have used, especially the 3k, but I use diamond\oil stone mostly now. PM me if interested.