Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Super Dust Deputy

I have a Delta "dust collector" model 50-179 with a 3/4hp motor and centrifugal fan mounted on a fiberglass or heavy plastic lid which passes the "fine" dust into a fabric bag. The base is a large fiber barrel, I think 55 gallons (much more than 35). I have looked at the Super Dust Deputy and the optional HEPA filter as recommended by Oneida. However the mounting assembly for the HEPA filter from Oneida seems to assume a very different style of collector than I have. I would really like to buy a 3hp or more cylcone like the Oneida V3000, but that is more than finances permit.

Any suggestions how to connect a HEPA filter like the Oneida optional part for the Super Dust Deputy or a Wynn cartridge up to the one I have? The barrel I have now I would intend to make into the cyclone drop bin, and somehow affix the fan and motor above the Super Dust Deputy.

Thanks in advance. John

2. Look into building a Thien style separator, a lot less money and an easy build. Very efficient.

John Leake,

You may want to start a new thread to get more eyes on your question, as this one has been up for a while. I also had to google your dust collector model to see what it looked like. I'd post a picture with the question if I were you.

The people at Wynn are helpful and may have some good information on a filter for your collector. It looks like a 4" port running to your bag, but if you measure it and tell them what you have, I bet they can set you up. At worst, you could make a plywood "donut" with an opening sized to your output and connect it via a hose and dust collection fitting. You'd need to mount the filter to the wall or some kind of structure with this setup.

I didn't find a picture online that showed the bottom of your collector's lid/motor assembly, so it is hard to recommend a way to incorporate a pre-separator like the super dust deputy. If you have a port from the motor/impeller side underneath to which you can attach a hose fitting, it would be pretty straightforward to run a hose to the SDD using Oneida's fittings and then follow their instructions for creating a lid that would attach to your existing drum. Again, a wall mount or structure to support the various components would be necessary, but easy to create if you have the room.

My Delta is a 1.5 hp unit and I am very happy with its performance after making the modifications. I don't know what yours is. The SDD will create a bit more drag, but in my experience the extra filter square footage of the cartridge instead of the bag more than makes up for it. Of course, the big benefit is how much more of the fine dust will be caught. Good luck with whatever you end up doing.

Jon

4. Thought I would bring this post back up as the previous couple of replies hit home for me. I have one of these drum top collectors, a 2 HP Cincinnati Fan model on 55 gallon drum that has 6" inlet. The biggest reason for trying to incorporate something like an SDD or modification to this unit is the weight of lifting this thing off the drum. The blower lid assembly along with the Baldor motor is heavy as h*ll. I also wanted to add a Wynn type filter instead of the crappy bag. So I have been tossing around a lot of ideas. In looking at what John Leakes is trying to do is what I had in mind and have come to the conclusion that the only way to do this is to utilize the blower motor assembly only on a top shelf in a tower style design with the SDD and bin mounted underneath. This way when emptying the dust barrel, I'd never have to lift the motor/blower assembly. So basically, other then the motor/blower you are essentially scrapping the lid assembly. You could use the drum, but would have to make a lid for it to accept the SDD. Very doable. I even though about buying one of Oneida's bare cyclone bodies to do this with, but at 41" high, now we are getting into a height range with a tower build that is going to be above my celling height when you factor in the tower and all the necessary connectors and drum. I want to stay away from cutting holes in my garage ceiling.

I should also mention that these units are actually pretty decent units, at least my 2 HP model is, but the filter bags are garbage. In talking to Wynn about one of their filters, they sent me these photos of a drum top unit someone modified to accept a Wynn filter. Hopefully they will be of use to anyone with one of these units looking to upgrade the filter but keep it in basic original platform..
    IMG_1631.jpgIMG_1634.jpgIMG_1635.jpgIMG_1637.jpgIMG_1638.jpg

I have the plastic SDD. It works like a charm. I hardly get any dust at all in the bag in my Jet DC-650.

image.jpg

6. Henry,
    Since you have experience with the "Plastic" SDD, I am wondering just how rigid these are as far as the molded plastic goes? Is it worth the additional monies for the Metal SDD? As far as the plastic one is concerned, what doe the inside look like, pipe down the center from the top or just an open cone?

Harold,

All of the SDD's have a tube running down into the cone. They would need to have that to make the cyclone work properly. I can't speak to the rigidity of the plastic SDD, but if it had been available when I bought my metal one, I would have opted for the plastic one. My metal one works just fine, but the plastic one is a slightly more efficient design. I would have adjusted my build to accommodate the plastic cyclone.

8. James,
    Thanks for the info on this. I am looking to scavenge the 2HP blower/motor off my Cincinnati Dust Master and build a portable tower type design with an SDD. Seen 100s of pics on SDD builds, but never one showing the inside and what the internals looked like. Based on my design thoughts with blower mounted on top, it will come in just under 7' in height which is what I was looking to do.

The round inlet converting to square, and the downward spiral slope on the top make it look like a better design to me, just by looking at the outside. I wonder if it has an internal ramp.

I'm thinking about the Super Dust Deputy XL to go with my 3HP blower/impeller unit I took from my 4-bag Grizzly. I'm currently using an Ebay cyclone, but it may be too tall for my future basement shop.

Harold,
    I just posted this a day ago: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...able-SDD-build It has photos of my SDD and the Penn State blower assembly in my portable DC system. When I mated the two together, I took the side plate off the PS blower since it was only a 5" opening and I wanted to mate it to the 6" outlet on the SDD without needing a reducer. I made a new plate and doughnut from MDF with a larger 6" opening and a bellmouth profile to ease the airflow a bit. Pretty much however you do it, the blower can just sit on top of the cyclone. Mine isn't bolted to the cyclone and just sits there by gravity. It is bolted to the filter duct. I probably wouldn't have done that if I had the plastic SDD. The metal one is plenty strong to do that, but since the blower assembly with the motor is pretty heavy, I would support the blower if mounted on top of a plastic SDD. My frame is 65" tall at the top rail and the motor sticks up another 9" above that.

11. I am also wondering about what Peter posted above regarding the SDD XL. They list it for 3-5 HP, the standard SDD for 1-2 HP, leaving a gap from 2-3 unaccounted for. Wonder if I could get away using the XL in my build with a 2HP blower with a 12.5" fan producing 1100 CFM?

James, thanks for the input, my blower, with the Baldor motor is pretty darn heavy, not sure the plastic would hold it without support. My plan is to mount it on a shelf above with a small piece of hose or pipe connecting it to the top of the SDD to avoid and weight issues an instability.

12. James,
    just finished looking at your other post with the photos of your collector build with the metal SDD, quite impressive and portable too. Exactly what I am looking to do!

By the way, I see you are in Orlando, I work in Orlando and live just up the I4 corridor in Orange City, FL. We'll have to hook up some time and talk shop!

Harold,

I suspect you could use any of the SDD's with your blower. I doubt the cyclones are matched that carefully to a HP/impeller requirement where one of them wouldn't work with a certain blower. Mine is working fine with 1 HP and a 10" impeller, but I will upgrade it when I can, since I recognize that the 1 HP blower is marginal. If I was to use your blower on a build with an SDD, if I had the overhead room, I would use the XL model. Partly for the 6" inlet, and partly because the diameter to cone length ratio is longer on the SDD-XL. From reading Bill Pentz's material, and other sources, the longer cones seem to do a better job capturing the fines than the shorter ones. The length to diameter ratio for the three SDD's is: metal SDD (shortest) 1.18, plastic SDD 1.8 and the plastic SDD-XL 2.08 (longest).

Shoot me a PM and we can talk about it some time.

14. The 6" opening is why I was considering the XL. I think I can make up for the extra 10.5" in height vs. the regular SDD by maybe using a smaller type barrel to keep the overall height down

The inside of a cyclone is very boring. The inlet is on the side and is just the tube coming into the cone. The outlet is on the top and is just a tube coming out. No baffles or anything in my Dust Deputy.

For those that want a way to clean a filter cartridge, I got the attached pdf when I bought a cartridge for my Delta AP-40. It is made of copper pipe and fittings and bits of plastic.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Jim Dwight; 05-14-2015 at 2:21 PM.