Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What finish for new saw tote?

Blog Entries

What finish for new saw tote?

I'm ready to finish a saw tote I've made out of figured maple. I'm thinking to start with shellac and maybe an oil finish over the shellac.

I wonder if wipe on lacquer would be better?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

If the maple is figured, a coat of BLO will make the figure pop a little better. It will warm the color up a bit also. Allow it to dry about 24 hours. Then you can finish it with tru oil, arm-r-seal, etc. Best wishes.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Ron.

It's been awhile since I started the project. I ended up making several totes before I was satisfied with one.

The last challenge was the carving on the top front of the tote where the back recesses into the tote. I tried to emulate the Lie Nielsen carving and had to do more than one to get there.

I've never used BLO, but I will get some today.

Please post pics when you are done, I have a saw I want to re handle.

Chris

Lowell,

When I made my last saw handle I used a wash coat of blonde Shellac as a sanding coat to show me any place that needed final sanding and then followed it up with several very light coats of Truoil wiped on and off with a cotton rag. Truoil dries hard so it seems like a durable finish for a saw handle. I liked the outcome. IMG_0049.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

An oil finish over shellac doesn't work. Oil finishes need bare wood to penetrate and shellac seals it. But starting with an oil finish and topping with shellac would work well. Personally I like the feel of shellac under hand on tools.

Good point Steve... I did make sure to use the Shellac as a sanding coat, so I did sand it off mostly before applying the Truoil.... Had I not, there probably would have been adhesion problems.

Blog Entries
    That is a fine looking tote!

Blog Entries
    Glad to see this post. I was refinishing the wood on a #5 Stanley plane this AM. While I was at it I made some changes to the handle I made for my Adze requiring a new finish job. I have used WATCO for just about everything for quite a while. I like it for planes, hand saw handles...most tool handles. I keep soaking the wood with it until it stops sinking in then wipe the excess off. It seems to help restore old dry wood very well. It leaves a tough finish that is not very different than freshly dried BLO. The difference is the WATCO seems to last much better. I think it can actually add a little strength to the wood surface. I like the dull, natural surface I get. Varnishes seem to level the surface more leaving a slicker finish. Lately though I have been thinking about trying something different just to see what I might be missing, so I am eager to hear what others use.

For reference Mike Watco Danish Oil is a mixture of boiled linseed oil, oil based varnish, and mineral spirits. I used to use it for the convenience factor, but now I make my own because it allows me to vary the mixture based on my needs. It is a lot cheaper way to go and I can make up a batch as small or as large as I figure I'm going to need.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

FWIW -

I use a push-stick for narrow pieces thru the TS. I made a few "sticks" out of scrap oak, maybe 1.5" x 14", nibble them cdwn as I go, re-cut the tips as needed.

For the handle - I took a scrap chunk of QS sycamore , traced out the handle of my Adria DT saw, cut, filed, sanded, etc. Then - a light coating of BLO, followed by 4 - 5 coats padded ultra pale 1.5# shellac.

Looks great after 4 - 5 years; keep the handle, and replace the stick as needed. Handle attached with BORG 1/4" Tee-nuts - not fancy saw nuts.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for that info Dave, good to know. I may try that as well. My sales dude at Highland Woodorking suggested I use the WATCO Teak Oil Finish for hard dense woods. He explained that it was a thinner mixture/more mineral spirits, which allow it to penetrate better. I guess I can just add mineral spirits to thin any that gets thick then? I just bought a gallon to finish a couple Windsor chairs, saw benches, squirrel house, mobile tool table/bench... I made.

I am curious if all boiled linseed oil and oil based varnish is pretty much the same or if there are better varieties I should look into?
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 02-11-2015 at 12:27 PM.

After having a violin bridge sink all the way down to the bare wood in an experimental Tru Oil finish that was several months old before I strung the violin up,I worry about Tru Oil not really drying as hard as it might seem. I don't use it on instruments for fear that just laying in the case,the velvet lining might get stuck to it.

Blog Entries

saw tote

Chris ask to see the tote after I finished it.
    Here it is after 2 coats of blo, and 2 coats of Deft Danish oil. I will put a coat of wipe on poly tomorrow.

I'm not real pleased with the carving at the sawback mortise, but it's just going to have to do.

SAWTOTE .JPG

Hi Lowell. I hope you don't mind me making some suggestions that will improve the look of your backsaw handle. On a saw handle there should be a visual separation of both face and end grain profile. You may wish to consider lightly flat sanding the faces of your handle with 400gt. The lambs tongue should also be tapering in thickness as it nears and then makes contact with the underside of the cheek.

regards Stewie.
    Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 02-12-2015 at 6:55 PM.