Thread: Deluxe Radial Arm Saw Station

Deluxe Radial Arm Saw Station

Over the summer, my neighbor across the street was throwing these cabinets in the trash. But they looked like treasure to me. So I scooped them up and made them into a super deluxe radial arm saw station for my grandfather's 1958 DeWalt MBF. I made the countertops and installed leveling feet on all the base cabinets. Installed some Rockler t-track in the countertop, a-la Norm Abram's "Miter Bench and Storage" project. I also made a dust collection system for it, which I can hook up to my shop vac. Works great.

image[4].jpgimage[5].jpgimage[1].jpgimage[2].jpgimage[3].jpg

Blog Entries
    Looks really nice. Great use of recycling!

That is a really great setup.
    I think I'm going to borrow some of your idea's.
    My 1956 MBF is my favorite tool.
    Jim Davenport
    Reporting from the depths of the Magic Garage

An excellent set up and great use of those cabinets.

SCORE! You done good!

Regards,

Marty
    "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity" - anon

Your neighbor obviously didn't have a RAS looking for an awesome base. Excellent. That is even larger than the one I made for my GWI. It makes life so much easier having a large work surface to support long stock for cutting. Cutting multiples to identical length becomes child's play, too. I really like the T-track idea, too.

John

That's really nice looking, sort of makes me wish I had my RAS back. I'd arrange to go get it but I have no way to transport it easily from where my uncle borrowed it years ago.

That is very nice! My dad had a Dewalt RAS almost identical to yours. Unfortunately he gave it to my older brother who is not even a wood worker.

I would be interested to see how the t-Track works.

I think I'll use it mostly for placing length stops. I used to have to make a long fence and then clamp a block to it for a stop. I tried to line it up with the fence; I could probably make some sort of outboard fence if that ever seemed useful? I'm honestly not really sure what else to do with it. I suppose I could always add more track at 90 degrees and use it like one of those fancy Rockler assembly tables as well.

I might post some action shots this weekend.
    Last edited by ShawnE Curry; 02-13-2015 at 11:47 PM.