Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any recommendation for a veneer press (vacuum pump, bag, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Adamsen View Post
    Timely question ... I was looking at JW and about to start a build. Some of the units leverage small (3 to 5 gallon) air tanks instead of the schedule 40/80 pvc. Has anyone tried that, and are there opinions one way or another?

The other question was about just how well the Venturi models work. I'm impressed that it can generate 27.5" of Hg ... but how many cubic feet of air are required? I have a reasonable sized (80 gallon Champion) compressor, but how long will it need to run ... what is the ratio of air pressure to vacuum?
    I built one for a friend and it works better than I thought it would.

JWWventuri.jpg
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Susumu Mori View Post
    Hi Mike,

How important to have the auto-cycle capability? It seems some of the pump is only 45db and if clamping time is 1-2 hours, continuous pumping sounds enough for average hobbyist?
    Sure, if the noise doesn't bother you, you can use a continuous pump. You can always start with a continuous pump and then add stuff around the pump to make it intermittent. The system makes it intermittent, not the pump itself.

Someone asked about venturi systems. They work well, to the best of my knowledge, but you're running a fairly big compressor to create the vacuum. If you have the compressor, and you plan to always do your work where you have access to your compressor, they're a decent solution. Venturi systems work similar to pumps. All bags and systems leak so you generally have to run it continuously or have some system to turn things back on when the vacuum falls below some limit. This is especially true if you're working with UF glues that can require hours (or overnight) to cure. It's be pretty miserable to come back and find that the bag had leaked and your work was ruined.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 02-16-2015 at 1:18 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Sure, if the noise doesn't bother you, you can use a continuous pump. You can always start with a continuous pump and then add stuff around the pump to make it intermittent. The system makes it intermittent, not the pump itself.

Someone asked about venturi systems. They work well, to the best of my knowledge, but you're running a fairly big compressor to create the vacuum. If you have the compressor, and you plan to always do your work where you have access to your compressor, they're a decent solution. Venturi systems work similar to pumps. All bags and systems leak so you generally have to run it continuously or have some system to turn things back on when the vacuum falls below some limit. This is especially true if you're working with UF glues that can require hours (or overnight) to cure. It's be pretty miserable to come back and find that the bag had leaked and your work was ruined.

Mike
    Valid concerns all. I have a venuri system - and yes, I do have a good sized compressor (60gal) but you don't need anything close to that size to use the pump. Evacuating the bag after just putting something in is always the biggest load - and even then it's only 20-30 seconds if you're doing flat stuff without a ton of air in the bag. Then, every 10 minutes or so, my pump kicks back on for maybe 5-7 seconds of air (at 90psi).

And - I've found that yes, the systems can leak - but if I pull a good 23" of vacuum and close the valve to the pump and turn the pump off, it'll hold VERY well for several hours.

I have done a few videos recently that happen to include the pump in them which shows how little air it really takes if anyone is interested.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

I see.
    Thank Mike.

Maybe I'll start with a small diaphragm pump like this one (http://www.veneersupplies.com/produc...ss-System.html) and later, if necessary, add the auto-cycling kit from JoeWoodWorker.
    Or maybe this one (https://www.vacupress.com/pricing.htm#compact150) looks good with auto-cycling with a similar price.

I only occasionally do veneer work for drawer fronts and doors. All small stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Susumu Mori View Post
    I see.
    Thank Mike.

Maybe I'll start with a small diaphragm pump like this one (http://www.veneersupplies.com/produc...ss-System.html) and later, if necessary, add the auto-cycling kit from JoeWoodWorker.
    Or maybe this one (https://www.vacupress.com/pricing.htm#compact150) looks good with auto-cycling with a similar price.

I only occasionally do veneer work for drawer fronts and doors. All small stuff.
    You could probably get a less expensive pump from Joe Woodworker. Email him and see what he recommends before you make a decision.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Beam View Post
    Valid concerns all. I have a venuri system - and yes, I do have a good sized compressor (60gal) but you don't need anything close to that size to use the pump. Evacuating the bag after just putting something in is always the biggest load - and even then it's only 20-30 seconds if you're doing flat stuff without a ton of air in the bag. Then, every 10 minutes or so, my pump kicks back on for maybe 5-7 seconds of air (at 90psi).

And - I've found that yes, the systems can leak - but if I pull a good 23" of vacuum and close the valve to the pump and turn the pump off, it'll hold VERY well for several hours.

I have done a few videos recently that happen to include the pump in them which shows how little air it really takes if anyone is interested.
    I was very surprised at how little air the venturi system took. I agree about the compressor size. I think one smaller would work. I have one I may give a try to see. My times are probably about the same as yours. Maybe I'm lucky, but mine only cycles on about every couple hours. I'm using a 2" X 4" bag. It will hold a vacuum overnight(not complete, but most of it), with no power on.

Tony
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Joyce View Post
    I was very surprised at how little air the venturi system took. I agree about the compressor size. I think one smaller would work. I have one I may give a try to see. My times are probably about the same as yours. Maybe I'm lucky, but mine only cycles on about every couple hours. I'm using a 2" X 4" bag. It will hold a vacuum overnight(not complete, but most of it), with no power on.

Tony
    Mine cycles fast because i am a bad plumber, basically. The network of fittings that make up the pump have a leak somewhere. One day I will lather on some pipe dope or something while it's in suction to address that. Once every ten minutes felt pretty good anyway! :P
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

I went John TenEyck's d.i.y.route, although I lucked into a high-quality used vacuum pump for $75. Gluing up your own bags is easy; I bought a roll of vinyl and glue from somewhere. Short lengths of hosing, a piece of sheet good to groove for a platen, etc. are usually the kinds of things most of us have laying around or can find for very little money.

I can't say enough good things about vacuum veneering when compared to the old types of veneer presses.
    Last edited by Frank Drew; 02-17-2015 at 11:26 AM.

Customer service should be grade when there is a problem. My previous experience with the other company showed me they don't know what customer service is.
    If it doesn't go his way he over reacts and goes down hill from there.

I just ordered from Vacupress the "COMPACT 150 SYSTEM" and it was so nice to talk with the owner. How different the way I was treated.

I expect this system from Vacupress to be a good one and how I see it is an step up from the one I ordered before from Veneer Supplies and it is relatively the same price.

I didn't go DIY route, because I know myself and it will give me frustrations. I wish I could do it, but it is better for me to buy the whole system ready to go.