Thread: Want to Upgrade DC Unit

Want to Upgrade DC Unit

Right now, I have a 2hp DC connected with 6" flex to a Super Dust Deputy on a 55 gallon drum with a system that allows me to use bags. I then have a 10' piece of 5" flex. It steps down to 4" at a wye that serves my Table Saw and my jointer. My planer has a 5" dust port that I connect direct to. My other tools use one of my three Shop Vacs with Dust Deputies. I am not interested in putting in a permanent ducting system.

I want to get a King 3hp cyclone. Smaller footprint, more power. Problem is I have a choice of hooking up to the 4" port or take the splitter off and use the 8" port. That really won't work, as I cannot find any 8" flex pipe, or an adapter to got to 4" anyway. If anyone has a different idea of what I can do to maintain performance, or increase it, please advise.

If I am hooked up using the 4" port and flex, should I leave another 4" port open to maintain air flow?

Can you find a 8" to 6" reducer that matches and use 6" flex, or reduce again from 6" to 4".

Blog Entries
    I've heard different reports of what works best but, I do not open additional gates when using a 4" at a machine. My main is 7" down to 6" and then down to 4" just before the machine.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Sounds like I worked with some of the same constraints you are. I too have an 8" cyclone inlet, which transitions to a 7" main trunk (Spiral metal - all horizontal) which drops to 6" just before the bend to vertical, and then reduces at the machines to whatever they are, while maintaining the cross-sectional inches of the 6". The 8" didn't provide the fpm needed to keep larger particles moving, thus the drop to 7". The vertical requires higher fpm to move dust, and keep the lowest friction right up to the tool. When I was designing the system a lot of very generous folks here provided ideas and feedback which helped come up with the final design. And it was all good advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Adamsen View Post
    Sounds like I worked with some of the same constraints you are. I too have an 8" cyclone inlet, which transitions to a 7" main trunk (Spiral metal - all horizontal) which drops to 6" just before the bend to vertical, and then reduces at the machines to whatever they are, while maintaining the cross-sectional inches of the 6". The 8" didn't provide the fpm needed to keep larger particles moving, thus the drop to 7". The vertical requires higher fpm to move dust, and keep the lowest friction right up to the tool. When I was designing the system a lot of very generous folks here provided ideas and feedback which helped come up with the final design. And it was all good advice.
    lots to review. Thanks for the iinput.