Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Here's my 2 cents worth

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Were there ever any 2 dollar bills?

I always find it funny when in the USA that there isn't a $2 piece of currency............Rod.
    They are quite scarce in the wild (like you, it is very rare for me to see one in a cashier's drawer), but they are readily available. In fact, if you go to the bank, you should be able to ask for a bound pack of $2 bills... if you're lucky, they'll even be freshly minted. I don't go that far since they ARE common (at least in that regard)... but if I see one in a drawer, I offer to exchange a few singles for whatever the cashier has on hand.

I even have a couple of bills printed with blue ink... they're backed by silver rather than gold like regular greenbacks.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Thanks for the info Dan................regards, Rod.

While working for Taco Bell during high school, someone paid for their food with a $2 silver certificate (the one Dan is referring to) once. I immediately raced to grab my wallet and quickly exchanged it for 2 singles I had. It is probably still worth $2! LOL I had never seen a "blue one" before and thought it was pretty cool. I still have it...somewhere....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Fed Reserve notes and Silver Certificates used to both be in circulation. Everything now is Fed Notes ,redeemable for...
    differently portraited paper.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Were there ever any 2 dollar bills?

I always find it funny when in the USA that there isn't a $2 piece of currency............Rod.
    Yes there have been several issues of them. They generally get picked up by collectors and aren't in common usage. There was an account many years ago about a Military base commander that was being harassed by the local city council regarding the rambunctious nature of some of his troops in town and the extra traffic they caused in the town. It got so bad that the base commander ordered all his troops to be paid in 2 dollar bills. At the next meeting with the city fathers he asked if the had noticed anything unusual in their banking lately. They remarked on how many 2 dollar bills they had seen. He then told them that all the military had been paid with $2 and they in turn had spent that money in the local economy. The base had no further problems dealing with the town.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I have an 1865 3 cent piece around here somewhere. I tend to be a little more wordy.....

Possessing a 2 dollar bill was considered to be bad luck by my parents generation which is another reason they did not survive in circulation. Neither my Mother or my Father would ever accept a 2 dollar bill.

Twenty dollar bills are rarely accepted by Native American Indians, President Jacksons portrait is on the 20 dollar bill.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 02-20-2015 at 8:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Moses Yoder View Post
    I once advertised my grandfather's anvil on a Facebook garage sale site for $250,000, no takers.
    And what was the purpose of that???

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a three-dollar bill? My grandfather used to have an expression about a three-dollar bill.
    At one time banks were able to distribute bank notes. Much of it looked like regular U.S. issue notes. Some banks did print $3 notes.

The banks were supposed to have gold or silver on deposit to cover what was in print. Some bankers went a little far. They are sometimes referred to as "broken bank notes" by collectors.

Times were financially wild at times in United States history.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    I do have a 1795 half dollar that someone spent in my Grandfather's store in 1930, but it is worth rather less than you would expect also.
    A 1795 half dollar is worth quite a bit actually.
    half dollar.JPG

That's a pretty good rate of return on 50 cents.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 02-21-2015 at 7:35 AM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    A 1795 half dollar is worth quite a bit actually.
    I used to spend a lot of time with a coin dealer.

What the value of an old coin is can be quite a bit different that what a coin dealer will pay for the coin.

One of the reasons I gave up collecting was realizing my family would never benefit from my collection if they took it to a dealer instead of selling it at auction or through a broker.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)