Thread: rusty table saw top

Blog Entries

rusty table saw top

I just came in from my first day in the cement floor barn after horrible winter weather. I uncovered my 6 month old stopsaw and the cast iron table is a sea of rust. Got a set of hard, medium, soft Sandflex blocks from Klingspor's and spent 4 hours of really hard scrubbing and then sprayed the surface with Glidecoat. Is there a better way? I probably should have used the Glidecoat in fall before cold concrete and warm days.

Rusty top

I know there is a better way but I just used a sanding block with 220 grit or maybe 400 grit paper then three coats
    of wax. Now it looks like new.
    Bryan Vaughan
    Independence, Mo.
    Avatar picture are grandchildren Forrest and Birdie.

Big Milwaukee polisher with a wool pad using a heavy cut polishing compound. Works quickly, and it'll be uber shiny went done.

Bar Keepers Friend and 220 grit paper will do it. I like to sprinkle the surface with water and then throw on some BKF and scrub away with the 220 grit. Mix the water and BKF to a slurry type consistency. Works great!
    Last edited by Dimitrios Fradelakis; 03-16-2015 at 7:09 PM.

Degrease the surface then using a grinder with a cup wire wheel to hold various grades of scotch brite pads cut to fit working from course to fine. Shouldn't take more than 5-10 minutes to get it nice and shinny.
    "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Proust

Put a towel over the top and saturate it with Evaporust. Rust should be gone in a couple of hours. Then treat or wax the top.
    Last edited by Mike Schuch; 03-16-2015 at 7:49 PM.

" Is there a better way?" -- TO Jones

Sure is:

www.amazon.com/HTC-TS-9072-Saver-72-Inch-Machine/dp/B000022628

See Jack Forsberg's video of the method Jack told about in post #5. It turns the process into a few minute job. I already had a 15 amp side grinder that I keep a wire cup on, so I use that with the Scotchbrite pads. I don't bother to cut them into circles.

Here's a link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uMrVusnaEg Using a larger side grinder is faster still.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 03-17-2015 at 6:03 PM.

I did similar to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRn97evxSeI

and it worked great.

Blog Entries

Thomas O Jones Jr

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hammond View Post
    I did similar to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRn97evxSeI

and it worked great.
    Thanks to everyone for the input. There are a lot of better ways than the one I tried! Tom

EvapoRust is your friend.

If it's just a very thin coat of surface rust - with no pitting - you can use mineral oil and a scotchbrite pad. With a little bit of elbow grease you're rust free in a few minutes. Follow that up with Boeshield and Renaissance Wax following the instructions in the Bandsaw Setup video from Wood Whisperer. It worked beautifully for me after I was certain I had ruined my new tablesaw.