Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Why use a folding ruler?

Definitely the common usage in Germany.

We still get them here, and they used to be more or less the standard woodworker's tool up until maybe the 1970s - but were displaced by the gee whiz of tape measures.

The biggest problem in buying one is that what's locally available is cheaply made, tacky and not accurate. Good ones are a thing of beauty in their own right.

I find them very useful for measurements where their self supporting nature is really helpful. I don't much trust tape measures anyway, and also have several Shinwa rules with stops which are certified, beautifully clear and very useful too: http://www.fine-tools.com/shinwa-ruler.html

I use em a lot, have 4 or 5 laying around the shop, always throw one in my go bag. I like to leave one unfolded in the tool tray on my work bench. I'd say if you ever got used to using a story stick then a folding rule has a similar feel. I always liked the Lufkin X-46 and especially if I can find the ones with the flip hook on the end. When I'm working off a ladder, I'll often unfold the ruler as needed then just hang it on my back pocket instead of laying it down and it's very steady compared to a tape for overhead work. Don't get me wrong, the tape is there too but sometimes the stick rule is just easier in some situations.

The biggest reason I use them is because my dad used them all the time and it makes me think of him. I remember him buying is first really decent spring retractable steel tape measure back in the early 70's, he was pretty jazzed but the stick rules always had their place.

David
    IMG_0161[1].jpg

The best quality folding measures around here are said to tbe the Swedish Hultafors ones, the yellow ABS plastic ones, followed by the ones made from slow growing arctic birch.

Grew up in the biz,so like others that's just what we used back then?Still carry an X46 in the std side pocket of my Dickies work pants.They're a little slower than tapes if all you're doing is "pulling" measures.Also slower for longish.....10'+...stuff.In a shop environ however,where there's a lot of bench work and machine setup,I'll take a stick rule everytime....WAY less bulky,on the "fly".

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    I use mine all the time in my shop.

I transfer marks onto it using a pencil.
    They're easier for me to get measurements longer than 30" or so, where my tape "collapses" under it's own weight.

For inside measurements, I've taken to using two wooden rulers, back to back with a spring clamp.

I particularly like wooden rules with a brass extension for inside measurements to check a box for square,
    across the diagonals. The outside hook measurements are coarse, only.
    Jim, you need to invest in a better tape measure. 30 inches is really poor. You must have a flat or kinked tape.

I use my tape measures for nearly everything and I never use those cute little novelty items (folding rules). The tape is far quicker and more accurate and more repeatable for both outside and inside measurements. I have a small one (12 ft, 1/2 inch) that I use for woodworking. I can see the example of the masonry guys liking the folding rule because cement inside your tape measure is an obvious recipe for failure, and because, frankly, its bricklaying - nothing accurate involved with that art. Otherwise, the folding rule is truly antiquated isn't it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    The old wives tale of using the same tape for the whole project does not assure accuracy if the irregularities vary over distance as is often the case. Your acceptable degree of 'convenience' versus 'accuracy required' will depend (as in most things for me) on what you are doing and how. ;-)
    Since this old thread was brought back up, I had to comment on this...

I can't see this as a wive's tale. Like a story stick, it doesn't matter how inaccurate the printed measurements are (or if the ruler has zero markings at all) over any distance. If you measure 'X' distance with a stick, transferring the measurement using the same stick should prove as accurate as your hands can write and your eyes can see. Unless the stick is shrinking/growing due to moisture changes in the environment , it should be just as accurate as any other measuring device not based on the atomic clock.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

7. Can't be beat for inside measurements.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    ... Otherwise, the folding rule is truly antiquated isn't it.
    Yep. So are hand powered tools, but I like and use them.

The shock from a wooden rule will not kill you. One from a steel rule will.
    Curt

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Collins View Post
    I just received a new Lufkin wood folder yesterday from Amazon that will replace the 25 year old Lufkin. The first thing I do when I enter my shop is to put my pencil behind my ear, and my folding rule in my back pocket.
    And I thought I was the only one that understood what ears are really for. I always try to use my left ear because that one holds the pencil better than the right one....go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Since this old thread was brought back up, I had to comment on this...

I can't see this as a wive's tale. Like a story stick, it doesn't matter how inaccurate the printed measurements are (or if the ruler has zero markings at all) over any distance. If you measure 'X' distance with a stick, transferring the measurement using the same stick should prove as accurate as your hands can write and your eyes can see. Unless the stick is shrinking/growing due to moisture changes in the environment , it should be just as accurate as any other measuring device not based on the atomic clock.
    Dan, I think what Glenn is referring to is a tape measure whose marking may be irregular but not consistent. For example the first several inches may have markings slightly closer than actual dimension yet further out the markings may be spaced slightly more than accurate. I have seen some cheap tapes that were not consistent with their dimensioning.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Hi guys.
    I saw John Schweikert's thread about finding a nice folding ruler. I didnt want to hijack it, so I'll ask here: what are the advantages of using a folding ruler, compared to a 3' steel ruler or a good tape measure? Not trying to be cute - I honestly dont know. I always **assumed** that theyd be less accurate than other measuring tools because of the multiple joints, each adding a little potential inaccuracy. I dont know.

Thanks,
    Fred
    A folding rule makes you look like an old time pro.

In my opinion however, they're best used as a shim under a machine on irregular floors..............Regards, Rod.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Moyer View Post
    Dan, I think what Glenn is referring to is a tape measure whose marking may be irregular but not consistent. For example the first several inches may have markings slightly closer than actual dimension yet further out the markings may be spaced slightly more than accurate. I have seen some cheap tapes that were not consistent with their dimensioning.
    Irregularity is irrelevant, though. So what if the first 3 inches of the ruler are marked as only 1 inch. If your measured object hits the 3/4" mark on the ruler (even if it's at a true 1/2"), transferring that same mark at 3/4" to the object to be cut will be just as accurate as if using a ruler with marks accurate down to the micron. It's only when you use two different measuring devices -- one to measure, and a different one to transfer -- that it becomes an issue, and we should all know by now not to do that.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Dan my thoughts exactly it's all your doing with Rules transferring distances,
    Thanks John
    Don't take life too seriously. No one gets out alive anyway!