Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are Neoprene BS Tires really better than rubber tires?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Ladendorf View Post
    Rubber tires that don't require glue or crowning? Let us know how it goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    Are you sure those wheels aren't crowned? The crown would be very slight.
    I was too upset with the tires slipping/coming off the wheels in the middle of the cut,I did not examine the wheels carefully to verify if they are crowned or not,I'm going to the shop right now to check the wheels ,to be honest I'll be very disappointed if they do not have a crowning.

If I had an old Northfield or Crescent bandsaw, I'd absolutely send the wheels out to be re-vulcanized (if they needed it).
    I sent the wheels from my 192-D back to Oliver to have new tires mounted; as I remember it, they said that they used shellac as a glue, at least sometimes if not regularly.

FWIW, they also said that easing up on the band's tension at the end of each work day could add years to the useful life of the tires.

Are you sure those wheels aren't crowned? The crown would be very slight.

I just checked ,the wheels are crowned after all but a very slight crown,you have go by feeling with your fingers to notice the bump.I still may have to crown the tires.The article that Rich Riddle sent me has a good section on how to do this with a die grinder/router bit ,great article,lots of pictures,thank you Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by ken masoumi View Post
    I just checked ,the wheels are crowned after all but a very slight crown,you have go by feeling with your fingers to notice the bump.I still may have to crown the tires.The article that Rich Riddle sent me has a good section on how to do this with a die grinder/router bit ,great article,lots of pictures,thank you Richard.
    even Bob V does not recommend the routor bit any more. You could ask him why FWW had him edit that article but i think it had something to do the the bit ripping the tire off. Grinding is the trade standard. I used my disk sander and have used a chisel too as scraper

if the wheels are less that 24" i dress them on the Wadkin Wood lathe.

and on the disk sander

Last edited by jack forsberg; 03-18-2015 at 8:49 PM.
    jack
    English machines

Quote Originally Posted by jack forsberg View Post
    even Bob V does not recommend the routor bit any more. Grinding is the trade standard. I used my disk sander and have used a chisel too as scraper

How did you do the top one?

How did you do the top one?
    I put it on the bottom drive
    jack
    English machines

Thanks for the pics Jack,I remember you even repaired a tire with a some rubber compound and used chisel to crown it onced it was cured .

Quote Originally Posted by ken masoumi View Post
    Thanks for the pics Jack,I remember you even repaired a tire with a some rubber compound and used chisel to crown it onced it was cured .
    Ya that was the Speed Ax wood metal saw. but i used the cross slide and made a special tool point in colbolt tool steel i had around. I am not sure what is in rubber as a filler but its hard on steel . By far the best way to true and crown is on a lathe like i did for these sander wheels

jack
    English machines

I use a grinder. It works the best of all the jigs in the shop.

Crowning 1.jpg

Here is another method posted but no experience with it:

Crown Lathe.jpg

I always glue the rubber tires.

That chisel setup looks like an accident waiting to happen. Just a slight inward movement and it would catch and dig in the way I see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Miller View Post
    That chisel setup looks like an accident waiting to happen. Just a slight inward movement and it would catch and dig in the way I see it.
    you would think but rubber is odd to mill and you have to push into it with cutting tools for it to cut and it springs back when your done.

for whats its worth the saw run real fine now.

jack
    English machines

Indeed. My learning curve for crowning with a lathe chisel included many divots in the drive wheel tire. I did not have enough hands to use it on the top wheel. My own experience is that the rasp worked great and took very little time, even on the top wheel which was rotated by hand. Just clamp a short piece of lumber to the saw frame to support it above the center point and spin away. You do not need a quality rasp to cut the rubber.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Miller View Post

Quote Originally Posted by David Utterback View Post
    Indeed. My learning curve for crowning with a lathe chisel included many divots in the drive wheel tire. I did not have enough hands to use it on the top wheel. My own experience is that the rasp worked great and took very little time, even on the top wheel which was rotated by hand. Just clamp a short piece of lumber to the saw frame to support it above the center point and spin away. You do not need a quality rasp to cut the rubber.
    lots of ways to do it but i used a scraper HSS with a special grind not a chisel sharpened for wood and have done so on 4 bandsaws. do what you feel is best for you. The point to doing this or jigging with a fixed/held grinder or tool steel is the rubber is dressed true concentric to the bearings as well as being crowned. Holding sand paper and a rasp to a wheel does nothing to true the tire to the bearings or to correct run out in the rim. More to a fine running band saw than a blade that tracks on new rubber.
    jack
    English machines