Thread: Currant Drill Presses

Currant Drill Presses

I'm looking at buying a drill press. I've looked at the Porter Cable at Lowe's because of it's price. At a local tool shop they had the new Jet 17" that come out (716300). That looks like a nice machine, but is it worth twice the price over the PC?

I looked at the Porter Cable at Lowes the other day. Its a piece of junk.

The low price Jet is not a very good machine either. Everyone has that same machine in their lineup and they are all junk. How do I know? I own one.

My suggestion is to do a little research on what is and is not a good drill press in the used market, and buy used. There is an "OLD" Craftsmen in our local C-list that is far better than both of those listed for $150 just as one example.

You get what you pay for.

Lowes and Home Depot are competing for business based on price, and they stock product accordingly.

If that low price seems to be to good to be true, it probably is. And there is a reason why that product is so cheap - not "inexpensive" - cheap. THose stores are not the place to shop for good-quality shop machines, IMO.

Look also at Delta and Powermatic and Grizzly for comparative products. Youc an buy all of them, including Jet, online and delivered.

And - yeah - I absolutely think the Jet is worth at least 2x the PC.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I'm glad others agree that the PC isn't so hot. Previous threads had people praising the thing. I took one look at the depth stop mounted to the side of the head, and how it shifted up/down with use (due to poor design), and I didn't need to see any more.

I ended up with a discontinued Ridgid floor press I found at a tool wholesaler. Very happy, no quill play and works great for me needs.

If I was in the market for something new, I'd look at the Steel City with split head.

Otherwise I'd look at something used, and made in the USA or Taiwan (NOT China).

I like to buy used made in the USA equipment. Good prices and repairable. My go to drill press is a Powermatic 1200, not to much larger foot print then the Delta Asian that it replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    ......... with split head..........
    Great point, Phil.

THis feature is critical, Tyler.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Although it doesn't get heavy use, I am very happy with my Steel City DP.
    Lori K