Thread: Band Saw Trigger Pulled

Band Saw Trigger Pulled

Over the past week, I had a hard time making the decision to wait for a sale or to pull the trigger now on a new band saw, but today I bought the Grizzly G0513X2BF. After it was all over, I discovered that the trigger pull was smoother than I anticipated and my wallet fired flawlessly. So flawlessly in fact that I pulled it twice more. Once for a Y connector for the two 4" dust ports and then again for 5 Highland Woodworking blades (3/16", 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" general purpose blades and a 3/4" Woodslicer blade). I need to pull that trigger one more time to buy the 220v plug to match the outlet in my shop but that can wait until tomorrow. I already have a heavy duty mobile base from my previous band saw so I won't need to get one of those. Thank goodness too. I'm all out of bullets!

G0513X2BF.jpg

Congrat's, that's a nice saw you bought. I think you're going to like it a lot.
    When you get it, I'd be interested to know your impressions on the re-saw fence.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 03-28-2015 at 5:57 PM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Mike, I'll be sure to let you know about the fence.

Nice saw. I liked the table heights and sizes of the grizzlys.

For my bandsaw, I also like having a task light focused on where the blade enters the wood. I have a magnet-mounted lamp from woodcraft; think some others use LED-based lights.

Matt

Nice, what bandsaw did you upgrade from?

Jebediah, When I first was able to build a wood shop and outfit it with tools, I had limited funds so I bought the Ridgid 14" band saw. I quickly learned that it wasn't a very good saw to say the least. Many said that if you change this and add that and replace this, it could become a serviceable saw but I didn't want to put money into it knowing it would only become an "ok" saw. So I sold that saw on craigslist after owning it for 4 years. I still didn't have a lot of money to spend but the Craftsman BAS350 14" band saw had come out by then and it was getting good reviews as the clone to the Rikon 10-321 band saw which also had many good reviews. At the time, it was $399 and so I bought it. It actually was a decent saw and I had no troubles with it. I sold it to a fellow Creeker who was upgrading from a 10" saw. Hopefully he will get many years of use from it. The reason I am now upgrading again is because I wanted a bigger saw that could do more. I found myself working on projects and I always seemed to be saying to myself....I wish the table was just a tad bigger. I wish I had just a little more hp. I wish I had more re-saw height. I wish my saw was a little beefier. I wish, I wish, I wish! So I started saving and researching at the same time. I am just a hobbyist but I do sell things from time to time. I took every dime I made from selling with the idea of upgrading my band saw and I will be retiring in 2 years and plan on doing a lot more woodworking. So when the opportunity presented itself to sell the Craftsman band saw, I sold it but then I had no saw! I did a final research and asked questions and read review after review and I bought the best saw I could find for the money I had to spend. Hopefully this will be the last saw I need to buy and that it will be trouble free for years to come.

I have that saw and it has served me well. I think you will like it. I have had it about three years mostly to cut bowl turning blanks. I hooked up both dust ports when it was new but one of them was kind of hard to get the blast gate open. I found out it works great with just the top one hooked up. Rarely use the table saw anymore. BTW the blade that came with mine was a waste of metal.
    Fred

Thank goodness too. I'm all out of bullets!
    Reload quickly its not safe with all that cool stuff out there.

Fred, I'm aware the blade won't be worth much. I plan on using it just to set the saw up. I ordered better blades to make sawdust with.

Mike, Don't I know it. There's always something we "want" but talk ourselves into "needing" it.

I have the G0513x2 and love it. I think the fence is great. I'm sure you will be happy with the purchase.

Blog Entries
    Very nice bandsaw at a great price

Congratulations on your purchase(s). You are sliding down the slippery slope with many other Creekers.

glad you got what you wanted..I enjoyed your post..gave me a good laugh this morning. Keep your trigger finger limber, there is no end to this woodworking vortex.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe