Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ashwood Table with Powder Post Beetles

Ashwood Table with Powder Post Beetles

Hello Everyone,

In March, I bought 2 custom made Ash wood tables but, sadly, it looks like it is infested with powder post beetles (PPBs). I initially thought the frass I was seeing was just dust, but when I kept seeing new piles of it after I had already vacuumed, my research led me to some great posts here that confirmed that the little holes in my table were actually from PPBs and not normal.

Since the table is stained and has a few coats of poly on the top already (bottom is untreated), I'm trying to narrow down my options to avoid having to throw the table out since we paid a good amount for them. It seems like one of the best options would be to put them in a fumigation chamber to kill the pests at most stages, but I'm having trouble finding a place that has one here in Charlotte, NC. The closest would be in Durham and that is a bit of a drive from Charlotte.

Another option I read about was to put it in a kiln, but I am having trouble find one and I'm not sure if this advisable due to the finish on the table. I haven't reached out to the seller who made the tables (maybe he would have a kiln?), but am afraid he may be insulted if I reached out to him about the problem.

I wanted to reach out to see if there were other options to explore since I am having trouble finding the above.

Thank you in advance for any advice you can provide.

Kind regards,
    Victoria.
    Last edited by Victoria Chu; 05-28-2015 at 7:46 AM.

I would contact the seller first. If he has other projects infested from this same batch of lumber he may already have determined a solution.

Quote Originally Posted by James Tibbetts View Post
    I would contact the seller first. If he has other projects infested from this same batch of lumber he may already have determined a solution.
    Thank you for your response James!

Doesn't kiln drying kill them? I've heard about PPBs from I don't know how many people, one plywood vendor close to me said they won't touch it. They had to replace a set of kitchen cabinets in a very high end house. Ash is my favorite wood and I'm about afraid to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by [U
    I haven't reached out to him. Not sure if he would be insulted[/U])

I don't understand why you would hesitate to contact the seller. If he is a reputable supplier he would want to know there is a problem with what he sold you and would do what it takes to fix the problem. If he doesn't, his reputation would suffer. By not contacting him but publicizing the problem you are doing him a disservice by tarnishing his reputation and not giving him the chance to step up and do the right thing. He may have a problem with PPB that he doesn't know about and will only get worse if he doesn't know. If he doesn't offer to solve the problem then post here and let others know he is a supplier to avoid and ask for help to solve the problem.

Thank you Doug. I wasn't sure if he would be upset or insulted if I raised the issue, but you make a good point that he should know there is a problem. I will try to reach out and see if he has any suggestions.

For a small piece like that, heat is probably the simplest fix. Put it in a veneering bag, or make a quick box out of rigid insulation, then put some 100 watt bulbs in there for a while. You can google how hot i has to be (something like 160 degrees F, I think) and how long. (Maybe 24 hrs? I don't remember.)

A couple of years ago I discovered powder post beetles infesting an ash cabinet I had started and needed to store unfinished. I was doubtful about the heat method because yellow glue loses its grip at a surprisingly low temperature and I didn't want to risk failed panel glue-ups. Since there was no finish on the piece yet, I injected all of the bore holes with lacquer thinner, and a few beetles actually crawled out and went legs up, very satisfying. Afterwards I injected all of the holes with a solution of Termite Prufe powder in water. I bought this at my local hardware store and their website does claim it will stop PPBs. I repeated the application a couple of times and then finished the cabinet. I've been keeping an eye on it at home ever since, and I think I got all the bugs.

I wouldn't recommend the lacquer thinner on a finished piece, of course, but the Termite Prufe might do the trick on its own.
    http://www.copperbrite.com/termite.html

I would definitely notify the supplier. He needs to know there is a bug infestation problem. I would also get the infested furniture out of my house ASAP.

Fumigation is probably your best option since the piece is already finished. Also, I don't know what prolonged heat would do to the glue as already mentioned. FYI, the wood must be heated to a minimum of 132 degrees at the core for at least 4 hours to sterilize the wood. Wood is a pretty good insulator so the temperature needed to get it heated throughout would need to be somewhat higher. A dry kiln would do it but I wouldn't be too confident in a jerry-rigged enclosure.
    The holes you see are where the ppb's have exited the wood, probably leaving eggs/larvae behind. They won't get into wood with a finish so they were present when the piece was being built and the finish applied.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Before I had a kiln, I made a 2" thick bar top from quartersawn white oak for a lady. 2 1/2 years later, the lady called me and said that there were little holes appearing in the bar top. Oh no, the dreaded powderpost beetle. I put the top in the kiln at 150 degrees for 30 hours. The bar top was finished with mineral oil. There was some minor cracking at the glue joints, but the glue held up fine. I will probably cut in into two pieces, replane it, re-glue it, fill all the cracks, and refinish it for her. If she is not satisfied, I will make her a new one that has had the wood kiln dried and heat treated to 150 degrees (Cody is spot on about the need to heat the core of the wood to over 132 degrees for a few hours. I usually heat the kiln to 150 degrees for 24 hours so that I can assure that the core reaches the right temp for a long enough period of time.)

It is entirely possible that the PPB's got into the bar top after she installed it in the kitchen as the bottom side of the top was unfinished. However, I am assuming that they were in the wood from my drying sheds, so I am taking responsibility.

I hate powderpost beetles.

Fumigation with methyl bromide is the safest and surest route, especially for a finished piece with any value.

I met with the lady today. We agreed that I would split the bar top in half, re-plane the two pieces flat, and re-glue. I did that this afternoon, and the top came out nice and flat. Will re-glue tomorrow, re-sand, fill any small cracks, and she will be happy.

I hate powderpost beetles. The little Sods are gone, now. I can sleep better.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Hamsley View Post
    I met with the lady today. We agreed that I would split the bar top in half, re-plane the two pieces flat, and re-glue. I did that this afternoon, and the top came out nice and flat. Will re-glue tomorrow, re-sand, fill any small cracks, and she will be happy.

I hate powderpost beetles. The little Sods are gone, now. I can sleep better.
    Great! It's nice not having things hang over your head!

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Speers View Post
    For a small piece like that, heat is probably the simplest fix. Put it in a veneering bag, or make a quick box out of rigid insulation, then put some 100 watt bulbs in there for a while. You can google how hot i has to be (something like 160 degrees F, I think) and how long. (Maybe 24 hrs? I don't remember.)
    Thank you Allan!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hearn View Post
    Doesn't kiln drying kill them? I've heard about PPBs from I don't know how many people, one plywood vendor close to me said they won't touch it. They had to replace a set of kitchen cabinets in a very high end house. Ash is my favorite wood and I'm about afraid to use it.
    PPBs are such terrible little pests!