Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vintage hammer

I think a price fishing forum would be a waste of time. It's actually the lazy way to have somebody else do the research for you. Go to Ebay completed listing for comparables, and that will cover nearly everything.
    If you want to sell the item, then list it and see where it goes. If you have no idea what something is worth, chances are you have little invested in it and anything over that is profit. Some folks seem obsessed to get every last possible cent out of something they sell.
    Most people with websites clearly state they don't do appraisals. I do on my website, and I still get requests for "what's this worth ?".

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Andersson View Post

where's Winton?
    Yeah where is Winton?
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

I wasn't really suggesting a forum solely devoted to price fishing - although that's probably what half the posters would try to use it for. I agree it would be a bear to moderate unless the regular posters took it upon themselves to guide behavior in addition to the mods. I thought there might be more meaningful discussion or at least the opportunity for people with more knowledge to explain the comparable value or rarity of specific tools and also discuss historical tools' attributes without always having someone opine that, regardless of rarity, you should sharpen the blade and start making shavings. People who did find treasure in the attic or someone's driveway might also have interesting stories to tell. Jim, I appreciate your feedback.

Mel, I think you've made some fairly negative characterizations, either directed at me or just aimed at non-collectors who want to sell their tools at a fair price. If you read my post, you'll see I referred to items that DON'T show up on eBay searches or any other internet sources, printed price guides, etc. I don't think a collector or regular dealer who has invested knowledge and specifically hunted for an item should get more for the same item as someone who got it free from their grandfather. I for one would tell them an honest price range, but it seems many are too jealous and indignant over "dumb luck" to help folks. Some might say an open discussion of prices would drive all prices up, but what it really means is that people who took the time to look wouldn't be taken advantage of by buyers - and there would still be plenty of $5 planes out there.

I certainly didn't mean to start a major debate - just thinking out loud - consider my interest evaporated.

Back to the important thing, though - WHERE IS WINTON APPLEGATE? There, that way when he does an Internet search on his name, he'll maybe drop in and tell us if the Camellia oil dried yet.

Karl