Thread: Holly

Holly

One of the wonderful things about having Dave Schweitzer (D-Way tools) as a member of our local club is the amazing knowledge, both depth and breadth he has.
    Last month he was leading the Show & Tell for us and someone had something made from self harvested Holly
    As anyone knows, that has tried to harvest, process and dry Holly knows that it's really hard to get it dry and white. Due to the common fungus that turns it a ucky grey, oh so quickly.
    One commercial wood processor I know says they have at most two days from the time the Holly is cut down, to get the Holly processed and into the Kiln to dry.
    Last year I tried sticking the Holly I had just cut down, directly in my greenhouse, hoping that would dry it quickly, before the fungus did it's thing.
    It didn't work

Dave told us a method he has used. Cut it down, process it quickly, wrap it in plastic and stick it in the deep freeze and let it freeze-dry.

He admitted he did not recall how long he left it there, other then it was at least a year and could have been several.

He also noted that you probably didn't want to use the "house" freezer as the wife might object, I suspect I could get around that by telling her that she could have most of it for her spindle work.

Which reminds me, the Holly farm down the road is got a land-use request in, they want to cut down all the Holly and develop the land as high-end homes....
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

Good info there but I have never tried to process holly. Maybe some day. Thanks.

Sid
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    I'm wondering what boiling in water would do to holly. Anyone tried that?

I haven't heard of boiling holly. I did get some 10 plus years ago. It was about a 100 year old tree. The inside was not white, but a beautiful green and black colors, and looked like mineral stains and not spaulting. I have never seen that before or since.

robo hippy

I have dried woods like Holly in the Refrigerator , remember mold does not grow below 55 degrees and the humidity is very low in a refrigerator. When the wood gets below 20% no mold will grow. Craighslist has lots of used refrigerators for sale and cheap. Give it a try you will be impressed how well it works. I have used this method on Maple so it doesn't get grey. I like it all real white.

Excellent suggestion, William.