Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Acadia National Park - recommendations?

We spent our family vacation at Acadia for a week last June. Great place and we'd like to go back just for the fresh lobster. We rented a house in Bernard, on the opposite end of the island from the main tourist town of Bar Harbor but still only 20 minutes drive away from anything. You'll find plenty of things to do but some things to check out:

- The Mount Desert Oceanarium - great for kids, you learn a lot about lobsters and there is a lot of touchy/feely stuff and activities for everyone to do. www.theoceanarium.com
    - Carriage Roads - rent bicycles and spend the day riding smooth gravel roads all over the island. We rented from Southwest Cycles in Southwest Harbor.
    - Cadillac Mountain, Thunder Hole, Sand Beach, just about everything in the Nat'l Park
    - Lobster - our first experience ever with lobster at Thurston's Lobster Pound. Can't beat it fresh from the ocean.
    - Hike over to Bar Island during low tide. Lots of shopping and tourist stuff in Bar Harbor.
    Last edited by Mark Patoka; 06-17-2015 at 12:39 PM.
    Mark Patoka
    Stafford, VA

Take your wallet. Lobster prices have soared, due to the cold winter which is keeping the lobsters off shore in deeper waters where they are move difficult to catch, after many years of basically giving them away.

August = crowds. Be prepared for slow and steady. Make sure you have reservations at campgrounds and hostelries.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Ladendorf View Post
    I guess it's the great migration from these parts. Jim I see you are just across the river. I was in Newtown last night for the turning club meeting.
    Yup...just up the road from there a few miles. Bucks Turners at BCCC? I haven't been active for a few years, but always enjoyed it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'm surprised no ones mentioned to stop at LLBeans in Freeport on your way up. Go Whale watching out of Ba haba oh sorry Bar Harbor. Its been mentioned but really Sunrise on top of Cadillac Mtn. and just as good is the sunsets on the west side of Cadillac. Hiking the beehive is awesome and walk the coastline to Thunder hole. Hike out to Indian Point on Mt Desert Island. to check out the osprey Or up to long Pond. Arcadia is a lot of fun you'll want to go back.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Thanks for all the wonderful information. Sounds like many Creekers have had great experiences at Acadia. I have a hatchet from the LL Bean store, got when I was a kid some 40ish years ago. It's definitely on the list. I'll report back what happens and hopefully have some pix.

Doug

One place which I have heard is worth the trip is the Thomas Moser facility in Auburn. The ironic part is that I live in Auburn only a few miles from the factory but have never been. http://www.thosmoser.com/page.php?page_id=103

Greg

If you have a chance, you should go to Brooklin and nose around the WoodenBoat facility. Have a look at the school and their shops and walk down to the shore and take a look at the boats.

I'm surprised no one mentioned stopping at Lie-Nielsen on Hwy 1. If you're driving down the coast, you should make time for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Cuetara View Post
    One place which I have heard is worth the trip is the Thomas Moser facility in Auburn. The ironic part is that I live in Auburn only a few miles from the factory but have never been. http://www.thosmoser.com/page.php?page_id=103

Greg
    THAT would be candy for me! Moser is one of my "heros" when it comes to woodworking. Him and Nakashima. (The latter's compound is about five miles from here...)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Lived in Bangor for awhile - found memories. Have a great trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    THAT would be candy for me! Moser is one of my "heros" when it comes to woodworking. Him and Nakashima. (The latter's compound is about five miles from here...)
    Contact them now with the date(s) you will be nearby. We got a personal guided tour of the plant when we went.