Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Learning curve

Some stuff about it on line saying it has been used both ways and that current use is opposite of original meaning. I guess it is now interpreted by context, knowing the speaker,tone of voice, and hand signals.

Generally we put the independent variable on the x-axis and the dependent variable on the y. So, sometimes time goes on the y. The way you have it would answer the question, "How much can you learn in x amount of time?"

Instead, we want to answer the question, " How much time does it take you to learn x?"
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    What am I missing then?

I'll chalk it up to the idea that you are a digital guy and this is an analog problem

I thought it would be more along the lines of this shape curve Larry, meaning that on your first day or learning something new, there was only so much you could learn, because your knowledge of the subject limited you to understand so much that was ahead of you in the learning process. With each day, you get more educated on the subject matter, and the more educated you become, the more you realize that you don't know. For example, if you learn item #1 on day one, then item #2, #3 on the next day, maybe items #2,3,4,5.... all have 10 items of their own. Where you learned 1 item on the first day to get your knowledge, now, with the more items you are exposed to, the more items that you know less about, meaning you have to learn 10 times more on the 5th item as you did on item #1. It's like a family tree. You can start at one person, but then you learn about the immediate family, then the cousins, aunts, uncles, and then their families. Pretty quickly, there's 1000's of people in that tree. Same thing here, only with knowledge, meaning the more you are exposed to, the more you have to learn, thus a steep learning curve.

That's my take on it, but that could be totally wrong.

Screen Shot 2015-07-09 at 12.42.57 PM.png
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    I'll chalk it up to the idea that you are a digital guy and this is an analog problem

That has GOT to be it!
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Velasquez View Post
    Generally we put the independent variable on the x-axis and the dependent variable on the y. So, sometimes time goes on the y. The way you have it would answer the question, "How much can you learn in x amount of time?"

Instead, we want to answer the question, " How much time does it take you to learn x?"
    This makes sense sorta! I just have a hard time visualizing time being on the vertical axis.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I think this whole thread is a steep curve leading to nowhere.......

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    I think this whole thread is a steep curve leading to nowhere.......
    Absolutely! Isn't it GREAT!
    I have really enjoyed this thread. Sadly, I suppose there is nothing much else to discuss on the subject.
    What I want to know now is, have I convinced anyone to start using the phrase "shallow learning curve" instead of "steep learning curve"?.......
    I know that I haven't been convinced to change my ways!
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 07-09-2015 at 3:17 PM.
    Larry J Browning

I stick my original idea and failed hijack of this thread
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)