Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Least Favorite Material to cut or engrave and Why

Bert

Color matters when engraving plastic laminates. The red stains the white worse than any other color combination and it's a real chore to clean. I've had to pitch pieces because I couldn't clean up the red stain. It has to do with the pigment in the red.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Mike are you referring to the Rowmark and if so are you saying I'll be OK with the Gold on Black I just bought this morning. I hope so It will be going on MIAP. Veterans Urns and I want it to look really sharp.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    Bert

Color matters when engraving plastic laminates. The red stains the white worse than any other color combination and it's a real chore to clean. I've had to pitch pieces because I couldn't clean up the red stain. It has to do with the pigment in the red.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Gold and black engraves beautifully Bert. It's the red, along with a few other colors that are a little picky. Nothing major, they just aren't as clean cut as doing some other colors. We engraved 10 quarter sheets of red today, once you get used to it, it's not too bad.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Back when I first started experimenting with substrates, I found I never want to use extruded acrylic again. It's just a disappointment all around. But I agree on the red cap on white - it's a pain.
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

I guess what I actually have is a very thin piece of laserlights. The instructions on laserbits are for a 35 watt laser. I have 60 watts
    I get the impression that it should be attached to a solid object before engraving I don't have that option, can I just lay the sheet on the bed and engrave?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Gold and black engraves beautifully Bert. It's the red, along with a few other colors that are a little picky. Nothing major, they just aren't as clean cut as doing some other colors. We engraved 10 quarter sheets of red today, once you get used to it, it's not too bad.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    I guess what I actually have is a very thin piece of laserlights. The instructions on laserbits are for a 35 watt laser. I have 60 watts
    I get the impression that it should be attached to a solid object before engraving I don't have that option, can I just lay the sheet on the bed and engrave?

Just put it on the bed, engrave and cut it. I've never attached it to anything before engraving.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I hate cutting steel. Probably because it doesn't work.
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

Hi Guys;
    My vote is with Scott and Keith- stamp rubber is awful and am very surprised that the EPA has not mounted a major campaign against it. I guess they are too busy trying to save the yellow striped, one eyed snail darter........
    Best Regards,
    George
    Laserarts
    *twin 80 watt Shenhui 1280
    *60 watt Laserpro Mercury -42ips
    *(2) 30 watt Laserpro Venus-42 ips
    *whole bunch of woodworking/metalworking machines
    *128 screwdrivers (all needed)
    *wonderful wife (1st) of 53 years who allows me to collect screwdrivers

[QUOTE=George M. Perzel;2444593I guess they are too busy trying to save the yellow striped, one eyed snail darter........[/QUOTE]

As soon as they find out it lost the other eye in a laser incident you can bet they will be scrutinizing everything we do..

If "actual" engraving with tools qualifies is this discussion, then my least favorite material to engrave would be 68 Rockwell-hardened Glock slides. They're brutal on tools, and there's always the 'hope I don't screw this up' white-knuckle stress always going on...

But as much as I hate engraving them, the satisfaction of a job well done helps.
    This is a retirement gift I did last night. The 'fire authority' lettering is .048" tall,
    the entire 'unified' logo is only 5/8" x 11/16". And a quick plug to Anatares cutter tools, I'm amazed at what I can do with them. Even if I hate to.

DSC04136 (Large).JPGDSC04144 (Large).JPGDSC04149 (Custom).JPG
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Kev you do awesome work and a true professional at your trade and not to mention a little crazy for taking on jobs like that. The stress not to screw up a high priced gun like that must be tremendous , great job I'm sure the recipient will be over joyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    If "actual" engraving with tools qualifies is this discussion, then my least favorite material to engrave would be 68 Rockwell-hardened Glock slides. They're brutal on tools, and there's always the 'hope I don't screw this up' white-knuckle stress always going on...

But as much as I hate engraving them, the satisfaction of a job well done helps.
    This is a retirement gift I did last night. The 'fire authority' lettering is .048" tall,
    the entire 'unified' logo is only 5/8" x 11/16". And a quick plug to Anatares cutter tools, I'm amazed at what I can do with them. Even if I hate to.

DSC04136 (Large).JPGDSC04144 (Large).JPGDSC04149 (Custom).JPG
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Fantastic work on that gun Kev!
    Trotec Speedy 400 120w, Trotec Speedy 300 80w
    Thunderlaser Mars-130 with EFR 130w tube
    Signature Rotary Engravers (2)
    Epson F6070 Large Format Printer, Geo Knight Air Heat Presses (2)

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    I put a piece of brass plated steel engraving material down & then use small magnets to hold the laserlights in place atop the steel.

I have a iron honey comb magnets will work on that. any idea what settings on a 60 watt?

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Alford View Post
    I put a piece of brass plated steel engraving material down & then use small magnets to hold the laserlights in place atop the steel.
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

15. Mine is yellow on black Romark. No matter what the setting the yellow always seems to burn the edges, even with extra tape on.
    John S.
    Nottingham UK.

Generic Chinese 500 x 300 laser with Laserworks V6.0_____ VCarve pro and Aspire._____ Techno Isel router 300 x 300
    Roland CAM 2200 drag engraver.____ Sieg KX1 CNC Mill.______ Sieg KX3 CNC Mill. _____ Plus loads of crap