Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cherry Secretary - suggestions on fitting lid?

Hi Robert,

That is what I suspected. It makes since to not have a lip on the top drawer now that you mention it. When building the drawers I was just focusing on the spacing and fitting of drawers. Fortunately removing the lip and re-doing the bead should be an easy alteration.

Thanks for the advice!

Hi Al,

All good suggestions. I think will alter the drawer face as you and Robert suggested. I suspect that is the appropriate solution. Now that I think about it, I'm sure I've seen secretaries where the top of the upper drawer is obviously not lipped, and I think the issue of clearance for the opened lid is the reason why.

Terry

Robert,

I wasn't able to open your attachment, but I've reworked the top drawer with a lip only on the sides. I've attached some pictures showing the detail of the drawer edges. (Hopefully the visualization will help someone else avoid the same mistake.)

Now the lid will be unobstructed and the hinged joint will be a simple butt joint. Thanks again to all who offered suggestions.top_drawer_detail.jpegtop_drawer.jpg
    Last edited by Terry D May; 08-22-2015 at 6:58 PM.

Along with your woodworking I really like the even color of the cherry.Maybe all from the same tree?Its just gonna get better looking with age! Thanks for sharing your work.

Terry, yes that is exactly the solution that I was describing to you.. As you have stated, thankfully the solution entailes reducing the net height of the drawer front (no board stretchers are required), then re-profiling the thumbnail on the top of the drawer front a simple fix... I good luck with the rest of your build, the secretary looks great.. I used a sacrificial popular to work out how the lid fit to the lower case..

Jeez it looks like I made a boo boo uploading my image, jeez sorry, but our solutions are identical? DSCN0383.JPG
    Last edited by Robert LaPlaca; 08-23-2015 at 10:29 AM.