Thread: 1x8tpi to 1-1/4x8 tpi adapter source?

1x8tpi to 1-1/4x8 tpi adapter source?

I've looked around on the web a lot and I'm stumped on this one. I have a 1-1/4x8tpi lathe at home, but when our club turns at events the club's traveling lathes are 1x8tpi. I'm expected when turning to use my own tools and chucks (understandable). So I need to find a source for a spindle adapter that will step a 1x8tpi thread up to 1-1/4x8tpi thread so I can use my chucks and other spindle accessories.

It seems that stepping down is a common need, presumably for those who bought chucks then upgraded to a larger spindle. I've found a ton of solutions for that, but none for stepping up. Any help on a source for this odd item?
    Laser Engraver: Epilog Legend 24TT 35-watt
    Lathe: Delta X5 46-746 - 3HP/220v, 16"x42"

2. Turners Select Spindle Adapter 1"-8 TPI to 1-1/4"-8 TPI

Part# 1049860007

Our price: $21.95

Turners Select Spindle Adapter 1"-8 TPI to 1-1/4"-8 TPI

Part# 1049860007

Our price: $21.95

View Product DetailsSize:

5+ In-Stock

Qty.
    Add to wish list Add to commonly bought items list

View Product Details
    Size: 1"-8 TPI to 1-1/2"-8 TPI 1"-8 TPI to 1-1/4"-8 TPI 1"-8 TPI to 3/4"-16 TPI 1"-8 TPI to M33-3.5 1-1/2"-8 TPI to 1-1/4"-8 PTI 1-1/4"-8 TPI to 1"-8 TPI 1-1/4"-8 TPI to M33-3.5 3/4"-16 TPI to 1"-8 TPI M33-3.5 to 1"-8 TPI
    5+ In-Stock

Qty.
    Add to wish list Add to commonly bought items list
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 08-23-2015 at 3:44 PM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I don't see the first image for some reason so I don't see the source. As it happens I need the same adapter. I saw one last week when I was looking for a new insert for my Talon chuck, naturally I forget where I saw it! I'll try to order both items the same place, maybe with a few other things I want/need to try to not pay a fortune shipping from four different places.

Hu

4. The link does not load well..........Craft Supplies USA. Go to spindle accessories, then adapters and pick the correct size from the drop down menu.........I have one for my Delta 46-460 midi that I can use when I need to use one of my chucks that go on the Grizzly 0766.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Hartville Tool has them with free shipping.

If you are using an adapter in your chuck to begin with, just change out the adapter. I just finished two days of doing demos for the local Woodcraft. We had two lathes -- one 1x8 and the other 1 1/4 x8. I took adapters for both sizes and switched as necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    The link does not load well..........Craft Supplies USA. Go to spindle accessories, then adapters and pick the correct size from the drop down menu.........I have one for my Delta 46-460 midi that I can use when I need to use one of my chucks that go on the Grizzly 0766.
    +1 on Roger's info. Recently converted all my accessories to 1-1/4"-8 and installed one of these on my small Griz G0658 1"-8 lathe. Works great. Can now easily switch between the Griz and my Jet 1642.

"The best things in life are not things."

Found the Craft Supplies one - perfect. Thanks guys.
    Laser Engraver: Epilog Legend 24TT 35-watt
    Lathe: Delta X5 46-746 - 3HP/220v, 16"x42"

I don't like the spindle adapters. Since you are sticking out farther off the headstock, you get more vibration. Getting another insert or two helps, at least if you can get the old insert out. I do have a mini lathe in addition to my Robust, so I do keep one chuck with the smaller threads.

robo hippy

very little bit longer

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    I don't like the spindle adapters. Since you are sticking out farther off the headstock, you get more vibration. Getting another insert or two helps, at least if you can get the old insert out. I do have a mini lathe in addition to my Robust, so I do keep one chuck with the smaller threads.

robo hippy

Reed,

Since we are going smaller to larger here the adapter is little more than a sleeve over the original spindle nose. Looks like we are adding less than a half inch to the length so that isn't a concern. More of a concern is the quality of the machine work which I won't know until it gets here.

I did break a screw the first time I tried to get the insert out of the chuck. After that I turned a piece for the chuck to rest on and a driver for the insert. A whack with a big hammer worked well with everything supported. I still don't like taking the inserts out or putting them in. I spend twenty minutes or more walking them in slowly and measuring to be sure they stay concentric.

The old lathe will become just a turning and finishing station so I'm not as worried as I could be about it having added run out because of running an insert and adapter. I may find it is an issue but run out will have to be very bad to be a concern.

Hu

I have not used that specific adapter, but the collet chuck set comes with one identical. I have used that several times with no problems. We spend 10 days in the spring at the county fair turning tops for kids and I preferred my SN2s to the PSI chucks that the club brought. Worked like a champ.

I do agree that going the other direction is problematic. Our club just recently bought a griz 0766 and are currently outfitting it. We bought a set of the Lift-Lock and roll wheels and are modifying them to fit. We bought a spindle adapter for members that want to demonstrate with their chucks and only own 1"-8tpi machines. (We also have a Hurricane 125 that was donated). Our past experience with the step-down adapters has not been good.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Quote Originally Posted by hu lowery View Post
    Reed,

Since we are going smaller to larger here the adapter is little more than a sleeve over the original spindle nose. Looks like we are adding less than a half inch to the length so that isn't a concern. More of a concern is the quality of the machine work which I won't know until it gets here.

I did break a screw the first time I tried to get the insert out of the chuck. After that I turned a piece for the chuck to rest on and a driver for the insert. A whack with a big hammer worked well with everything supported. I still don't like taking the inserts out or putting them in. I spend twenty minutes or more walking them in slowly and measuring to be sure they stay concentric.

The old lathe will become just a turning and finishing station so I'm not as worried as I could be about it having added run out because of running an insert and adapter. I may find it is an issue but run out will have to be very bad to be a concern.

Hu

Never noticed we couldn't edit here or maybe can't after a reply is made. Anyway, meant to say that the old lathe will just be used for sanding and finishing now. Debating just making a base for the headstock to sit on and not using the bed, a little pressed for room.

Hu