Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chainsaw advise

It's NOT a perfect replacement for a chainsaw, but a reciprocating saw can often be used to cut up logs into turning blanks. A reciprocating saw equipped with 12" wood-cutting blade can handle most of what can be thrown at an electric chainsaw. An electric chainsaw with a sharp chain will cut faster than a reciprocating saw. A reciprocating saw doesn't leak oil, is more reliable, and is almost as fast for most cutting operations.
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

I have a 16" Worx electric that has been through tree wars with me. After about two years, while cutting a WAY oversized oak log it seized on me. I called Worx customer service and they replaced the entire thing. It arrived at my door in two days and has been going strong for over a year. My Husqvarna 20" only gets about 10-20% of my cutting chores.

chainsaws are a wonderful tool , I personally would only buy gas and at least 50 cc and if you can buy one that uses a 3/8 x 50 chain and not low profile ,you can get them in full chisel and a rip chain if you want. But it will not be a toy with those chains.

"Brownsville", North Queensland, Australia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Pachlhofer View Post
    get a Makita or a Stihl electric saw. I've got a Stihl, but would not hesitate to own a Makita.

If you're going to go cheap - wait for a coupon and get the cheapo from Harbor Freight. You can get it for less than $50. For the price, it's not a bad saw. I've got one of those also, and for trimming blanks it works just fine.
    Both electrics are very good saws. I own the Makita and use it most because I have a defibrillator. It is surprisingly powerful when compared to the Stihl gas chainsaws I have used in may career as a surveyor,. Gas saw are not recommended for me.