Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New 1221vs..Be Careful.

New 1221vs..Be Careful.

Well, I'm embarrassed to post this, but I'm doing it just in case it might help someone else. Did you know that there are set screws on the face plate. I didn't. I tried to loosen the face plate and it was really tight. Since it's brand new, I thought that they tightened it too much at the factory. I got it about half way so decided to call Jet Customer Service. The first thing the guy asked me is if I had loosened the set screws. My response was that I didn't have any stock screwed to the face plate and that I didn't think that face plates had any set screws. He showed me in the manual that they do. Oh yeah, did I read the manual before I decided to remove the face plate? No! After removing the set screws, I got the face plate off, but it was too late. I had messed up the threads of both the spindle and face plate. I got back on the phone to Jet Customer Service and they are sending me the replacement parts at no cost to me. Now that's what I call above and beyond so there's no doubt about their excellent customer support from my standpoint. Also their support is in the U.S. which is another big plus!!

Now, I never remembered any set screws on face plates in the past. To make sure I wasn't completely losing it, I looked at all 3 of my old face plates and none had any set screws. I guess my CRS isn't as bad as I thought. Next, I asked myself why did they put set screws on the face plates. The light bulb came and I think it must be due to this lathe having reverse. Okay, I have never had a lathe with reverse before. I hope everyone who's thinking of getting a 1221 reads this so you won't end up dumb and dumber like me.
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

2. Fairly common mistake made by a number of turners..........happened to me, but I figured it out before I messed up the threads on my Delta midi 46-460.........thankfully! I have heard of a number of others who had the same situation..........even experienced ones like myself!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Stan - perhaps it's somewhere in the Smith gene - did it to my 1642 after I'd had it for nearly three years. Luckily, I figured it out before too much damage - a nice, small file can help fix the spindle, a tap cleans up the faceplate. My new lathe has a hardened spindle, but I'm still a little gunshy even after several years. It's a sad but good learning experience. Your lathe will forgive eventually.

I admit it, not too bad, yes I did use a file on my brand new 1642 spindle before I turned the first piece. its an amazing machine, I am still very happy with it.

PM3520's come the same way and I was too excited about my new toy to read the instructions first. Fortunately, only cosmetic damage.

Happened to me on my new 1221. Luckily, I caught it before I did any serious damage. Never even considered a set screw. Now I understand about the reverse issue. Nice lathe but unfortunately I haven't have the time to use it as much as I would like. When I have something I need to get done it is easier to go to the old lathe that I'm familiar with.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin
    SawmillCreek.org
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    45W Epilog Helix
    Corel X4, Photoshop CS3
    Sherline 4400 lathe
    JET 1221 Lathe
    JET 1014 Lathe
    Craftman 36" VS lathe

My 3520 had a warning label on the face plate. I loosened the setscrew and tried to remove the face plate with the wrench - no go. Pealed the label off and there was another setscrew under the label. Of course I didn't read the label so can't say if it stated that there were 2 setscrews installed.

Jet 1642 has a setscrew too. and a big red sticker on the faceplate as well, warning me to remove the screw before prying the faceplate off. Also, luckily I read several reviews that mentioned this before buying the lathe. So I didn't screw it up that first time.

Don't worry, I'll have a chuck or faceplate on that lathe plenty more times to give me more chances to forget the setscrew and ruin the spindle threads...

Thanks guys for your kind words. You would think that when I was having difficulty,with so much pressure needed to move the wrench, that I would stop. Well, "Damn the torpedoes and full speed ahead." didn't work for me. I managed to ruin the threads on both the face plate and the spindle. Today was a milestone for me though....I finally got the last mounting bolt in. I'll probably have the cabinet stand finished tomorrow or the next day. There's a slight ticking sound coming from the motor so I'll have to wait and see if it goes away with more running time. Keeping my fingers crossed for now.
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

There's a little set screw skid mark on my spindle too. I did figure it out before I hit the threads though. When it starts turning it should spin right off. If it doesn't something is wrong. Course it could be those umpteen years as a mechanic saved me. I did all my screwing up on customer cars instead.... ;-)
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Belany View Post
    Happened to me on my new 1221. Luckily, I caught it before I did any serious damage. Never even considered a set screw. Now I understand about the reverse issue. Nice lathe but unfortunately I haven't have the time to use it as much as I would like. When I have something I need to get done it is easier to go to the old lathe that I'm familiar with.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin
    I also have a couple of 1014s. 1 is for my son and the other I'll list on Craigs List after I get it cleaned up and touch up the paint. They are great little lathes, IMO. I was playing around with the `1221 today even though I'm waiting for the replacement parts. I really like the belt change features. You don't even have to use a wrench and it's a lot faster than the 1014. It comes with 9" and 6" tool rests, but I already have enough tool rests. The variable speed adjusts easily and the digital read out is handy also. Some people didn't like the plastic cover for the belts, but it seems fairly solid to me and closes with a magnet. The side door on the headstock also has a magnet catch. These are just little things, but they do make belt changes faster and easier, IMO.
    Project Salvager

I did the exact same thing with my 1221VS. Had to buy a die to fix the threads.

Thanks for the tip. Actually un-boxing my 1221VS tonight.
    Glenn Chua
    Morrisville, NC
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Trotec 80W Speedy 400
    CAMaster Stinger III

Spend $4 at a auto parts store for a can od antiseizing lube. It has a fiber in it that tends to stop things from unscrewing and prevents seizing up. I haven't had to use a set screw for years. Prevents wear at the same time.

"Brownsville", North Queensland, Australia.
    Stan since EVS with reverse and / or electronic deceleration/braking have been fitted to lathes the smarter manufacturers have been manufacturing face plates, chuck inserts etc with set screws to meet their "duty of care" to the turners who like to turn outboard, "left handed" or in reverse. It is a cheap & not a very practical design solution as many non manual reading turners have found out.

Vicmarc has designed a collar to fit into Vee grooves in both the spindle and accessory insert or face plate. Much more refined solution but of course it will only match lathes and accessories designed as companion accessories.

Be warned your chuck inserts may have the set screws too. They often have two grub screws one that screws against the spindle thread and another that goes through the rear of the insert to tighten against the rear face of the chuck body to prevent the body unwinding from the insert.
    Last edited by Geoff Whaling; 09-07-2015 at 3:26 PM.