Thread: Anti Static Rigid Plastic

Anti Static Rigid Plastic

Hi Folks,

Has anybody ever come across a semi rigid plastic with anti static properties? The product needs to be around 1.5mm thick.

I have spoken to my current suppliers and everything they have is less than 0.1mm thick which is no good to the customer. Fiber or CO2 laser to mark it is great.

Fingers crossed somebody somewhere has been asked the question before.

Cheers

Bryan

Bryan, what's the application requirement? There are acrylics with anti-static coatings on them, but if just having the coating on it isn't acceptable, then it would have to be something else. Does it need to be clear? Solid color? What's the use (you don't have to be super specific if it's a problem disclosing too much information).
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Blog Entries
    Plastic is, by its very nature, an insulator... and therefore has poor anti-static properties. the only way around that would be an anti-static coating or conductive fillers in the plastic. Choose your poison...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Hi Scott,

The application is for labelling, I have given the customer specifications of the Rowmark and Trotec Laserable materials but these are no good. I sourced some laserable label material from Polychromal which had the right spec but this was too thin. To be honest, colour etc is much less important than it being anti static as the labels will be in an environment where any electrical charge could cause an explosion. I don't know any more about the application than that though.

Here's a link with some info:
    http://www.boedeker.com/esdmatls.htm
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

Rowmark can provide an anti-static modifier with their ABS materials but it requires a minimum order of 300 full sheets.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

You should check a brand called Norplex which I believe is available in the UK. It is a phenolic micarta product and may well have the anti-static qualities you're looking for. It is typically 3 ply; laser engravable but can't be cut with a laser. It is usually engraved and cut with a rotary device. It is available in 1/16".

This product is available in the US from Johnson Plastics in single sheets. Be aware that it is somewhat brittle when compared to engraver's plastic.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

The material Mike is talking about is known in UK as Traffolyte.
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 60w, with Quatro CSA-626 fume extraction
    Xenetech 1625 x2,
    New Hermes TX pantograph, CG4 cutter grinder
    Brady Globalmark2 label printer,
    Assortment of custom tooling , shears & punches, heat bender.
    Software: Xenetech XOT, Corel X3, Bartender label software

Hi Bryan

If the labels are for the petrochemical industry then any plastic is a nightmare - even if you find something suitable you need to nail down the specification with the manufacturer and get certificates of conformity for every sheet!

Much simpler to get stainless steel or anodised aluminium blanks made up and engrave those.

Another possibility if particular colours are needed is laserlights applied to a metal backing (off site).
    (Laserlights seems to be regarded as particularly thick paint and is therefore grudgingly accepted).
    Epilog Legend 32EX 60W

Precision Prototypes, Romsey, UK

Thanks peeps, appreciate the help

Mirror acrylic is conductive and therefore antistatic in nature. You can get in in 1.5mm like you require. You can ground it using a star washer and a resistor if you wish to be precise.

Cheers
    Keith
    Universal Laser VLS6.60, Tantillus 3D printer, Electronic design
    edns Group, Mairangi Bay, Auckland, New Zealand