Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Home Depot Black Friday?

Doug;

I do believe that the terms comes from the fact that retailers start to become profitable the day after thanksgiving because it is the beginning of the holiday rush. They are in the black (profit) instead of red (loss).

Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hayes
    Doug;

I do believe that the terms comes from the fact that retailers start to become profitable the day after thanksgiving because it is the beginning of the holiday rush. They are in the black (profit) instead of red (loss).

Chuck
    And this stems from Black Thursday. Which takes its origin from modern native americans who still find disfavor with everything that has transpired with their treatment since the very first Thanksgiving that took place way back when all woodworkers were neanders.
    Only the Blue Roads

For power tools, I use our Lowes or the HD in the next town. I don't need any employee help so it's ok that nobody is around. One bad thing about our Lowes is that often take 2 months to get some items restocked. They were out of 0.045" cutting wheels for 10 weeks! They kept telling me they would be in "next week".

For hardware I use our local True Value. They have the most unbelieveable selection of fasteners and hardware I have ever seen. They also sell screws, bolts, washers and nuts in boxes of 100. Our Lowes only has them in those expensive plastic bags of 7 or 8 and an occassional box of 25.

Fastenal just opened a store in our town so I use them for strap toggles and a few other items.

I hate going to department stores and the day after Thanksgiving I will absolutely be nowhere near a dept. store. I may be at True Value as I doubt the rampaging hordes will be there fighting in the aisles for "bargains".
    James

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Shepard
    Not to change the subject, but where did the term "Black Friday" come from, or maybe I should ask what rock I've been living under. I don't think that I've heard the term "Black Friday" used for the after Thanksgiving sales until this year. I've heard it other places besides here, but just don't recall hearing it in the past. Have I just been sleeping or is this a relatively new thing?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Friday_(shopping)
    Rich
    ALASKANS FOR GLOBAL WARMING

Eagle River Alaska

Take my advice:

Stay home or with family on the Black Friday and have a nice time. Wait until after New Years and really experience the savings with a LOT less people and a LOT less traffic.

To me, all the traffic, looking for a stupid parking spot, waiting in line to even get "in" the store and such just ain't my idea of fun nor am I saving much of anything if I count my gas costs, time, aggrivation, and whatever else. There ain't nuttin' out there that I need so bad to be caught up all in a tizzy about. So I just stay home and have a nice relaxing time.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I believe the term "Black Friday" comes from the idea that retailers traditionally have counted on the big shopping weekend to put them "in the black" financially. In other words it takes them most of the year to pay the bills and the revenue from Thanksgiving on will be profit. I don't know how accurate this term really is, but I am pretty sure that is where the term came from.

Holy cow....either I am a very slow typist or you guys are really fast. Either that or I didn't notice Page 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock
    Take my advice:

Stay home or with family on the Black Friday and have a nice time. Wait until after New Years and really experience the savings with a LOT less people and a LOT less traffic.

To me, all the traffic, looking for a stupid parking spot, waiting in line to even get "in" the store and such just ain't my idea of fun nor am I saving much of anything if I count my gas costs, time, aggrivation, and whatever else. There ain't nuttin' out there that I need so bad to be caught up all in a tizzy about. So I just stay home and have a nice relaxing time.
    My thinking exactly.

Kurt