Thread: Walnut Cases for 1960's Marantz Pre-amps

Walnut Cases for 1960's Marantz Pre-amps

This is my first post on this forum. I wanted to share a few pictures of some walnut cases I recently made for some vintage Marantz pre-amps.

Beautiful. So fitting.

Welcome to the Creek! Hope you have more pix of other stuff coming.

Thank you!

4. Beautiful work, that walnut is very nice too

Blog Entries
    A very fitting home for some fine hardware. You see so few audiophiles anymore (or maybe I'm just out of the loop). I do miss being able to listen to music as it was intended. Had I known the future of generally available electronics, there is so much gear that I would have kept .
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Russel De Arman View Post
    Beautiful work, that walnut is very nice too
    Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    A very fitting home for some fine hardware. You see so few audiophiles anymore (or maybe I'm just out of the loop). I do miss being able to listen to music as it was intended. Had I known the future of generally available electronics, there is so much gear that I would have kept .
    Thank you for the kind comments. And I think everyone should listen to music through some of these older units. These pieces were made for an audiophile store and they have units I could only dream of having but for being that the original boxes were plywood, I think that these are much better suited for such nice units.

Michael, fantastic work!

Tell me about ventilation and cooling. I know these are pre-amps, so they probably don't get as hot as amps do (especially if you use tubes!).

Thanks
    Peter

Very nice. Everytime I see a box joint I think of how I like them more than dovetails. Must be something about the simplicity but I guess I am an odd one when it comes to joinery.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aeschliman View Post
    Michael, fantastic work!

Tell me about ventilation and cooling. I know these are pre-amps, so they probably don't get as hot as amps do (especially if you use tubes!).

Thanks
    Peter
    The owner actually had the original boxes so I used that as reference for the design. Most amps have the tubes sticking straight up so yes heating would be an issue with these, but these pre amps have the tubes in the back. I will be making some cases for so McIntosh amps this weekend and hope to post pictures soon. I have attached a picture of the back of the pre amp so you can see the tubes
    image.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by John Goodin View Post
    Very nice. Everytime I see a box joint I think of how I like them more than dovetails. Must be something about the simplicity but I guess I am an odd one when it comes to joinery.
    I too enjoy box joints, I don't have much practice with dovetails but I think that you are correct, the simplicity of the box joint is appealing.