Thread: General Finishes Arm-R-Seal

General Finishes Arm-R-Seal

I am building a medicine cabinet out of cherry wood and am going to finish it with General Finishes Arm-R-Seal oil based finish. It says to use a folded up rag or foam brush to apply and use 3 coats. Should I sand between coats and if so, with what grit? Any other suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Cole View Post
    I am building a medicine cabinet out of cherry wood and am going to finish it with General Finishes Arm-R-Seal oil based finish. It says to use a folded up rag or foam brush to apply and use 3 coats. Should I sand between coats and if so, with what grit? Any other suggestions?
    I have been using Arm-R-Seal for the past week-and-a-half. Something like an old piece of t-shirt should work just fine for application. I am sanding very lightly between coats with 320 grit just to knock the dust nibs off. As far as number of coats, I will defer to the experts on here for that, but I would say at least 3-4. I am personally going to do 5-6 because I want to make extra sure that my finished project is protected for many many years to come.

Here is a good post about Arm-R-Seal from John TenEyck here on the forums that can provide even more info: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...40#post1905640

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Anthony Brown; 10-19-2015 at 12:55 PM.

Blue shop towels are my go-to wipe on applicator.

No need to sand. You can if you want.

I have used Arm-R-Seal on a number of projects and I typically only sand (very lightly) before the final coat. I have sprayed it and wiped it on, but I have followed the same sanding plan either way.

Scott