Thread: Festool Boom Attachment Question

New Lenox, IL (Southwestern Chicago Suburb)

Festool Boom Attachment Question

I purchased the boom arm for my CT22 today, and installed it. When I opened the box, I noticed it also comes with some anti-tip legs. Has anyone out there used these, and found them to be useful? They seem to me like they would tend to snag on anything that comes near them. Also, do you use them with their ends towards the front, or toward the back. I noticed with them to the back, they help the unit to steer when turning because you can tip the unit slightly, and then they help the front swing around easier. Again, just looking for feedback from people who have tried these.

On the 'festoolownersgroup.com' you might find answers to this as well.

I've got them mounted but I never use them. I have them turned facing forward and lifted up so them don't get in the way of the front wheels. If you decide to use them you can have them go either way, front or back. Here's a tip from Per Swenson, lift the legs off the floor about a 1/4" so you can still easily move the vac around.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Brice Burrell View Post
    I've got them mounted but I never use them. I have them turned facing forward and lifted up so them don't get in the way of the front wheels. If you decide to use them you can have them go either way, front or back. Here's a tip from Per Swenson, lift the legs off the floor about a 1/4" so you can still easily move the vac around.
    Same here, mounted, raised, pointing forward and could be used if needed. 95% of the time my boom is coming straight forward over the unit.

Brice, that is a salavating picture of a Festool vac/arm setup. I think that just made my list of wants! What do the boom arms go for - I know $200+! How tall are they? (I apologize for just asking and not looking it up).

Do you really like this setup?
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

New Lenox, IL (Southwestern Chicago Suburb)
    They are around 7 feet tall when all is said and done. The boom kit costs 250, plus you have to purchase the handle kit to hold it for another 75.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    Brice, that is a salavating picture of a Festool vac/arm setup. I think that just made my list of wants! What do the boom arms go for - I know $200+! How tall are they? (I apologize for just asking and not looking it up).

Do you really like this setup?
    I love this setup, it makes the vac hose/cord a non-issue. One of the best purchases I've ever made (I bought mine several years ago when they were a lot cheaper). As Brian posted the boom arm is 84" tall. That means it won't go through the standard 80" door if you plan on moving it around the shop or jobsite. It's not a big a problem because you can remove the top section of the boom arm making it around 54". I'm a contractor so I take mine to the job once in a while and it isn't to bad to transport at all. I can break it down for transport or reassemble it in about 30 seconds (but I don't use the support legs). Fits easily in the back of my (open bed) pickup.

If you decide on buying one I'd recommend getting the boom arm set. It includes the handle, boom arm and the tool holder that is made to hold a Festool sander. The set is $325 so you're getting the tool holder for free.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Brice Burrell; 01-16-2010 at 1:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brice Burrell View Post
    I love this setup, it makes the vac hose/cord a non-issue. One of the best purchases I've ever made (I bought mine several years ago when they were a lot cheaper). As Brian posted the boom arm is 84" tall. That means it won't go through the standard 80" door if you plan on moving it around the shop or jobsite. It's not a big a problem because you can remove the top section of the boom arm making it around 54". I'm a contractor so I take mine to the job once in a while and it isn't to bad to transport at all. I can break it down for transport or reassemble it in about 30 seconds (but I don't use the support legs). Fits easily in the back of my (open bed) pickup.

If you decide on buying one I'd recommend getting the boom arm set. It includes the handle, boom arm and the tool holder that is made to hold a Festool sander. The set is $325 so you're getting the tool holder for free.
    Bump!

In 2010 I said I wanted this. It cost me an extra $40 to wait almost 6 years to buy it. The m0101 kit is getting more scarce for my CT22 so I pulled the trigger last week. It arrives tomorrow. It is my present to myself for all this work on the shed recently. I use a dewalt sander and router too so I think my power cord will be modded but I have plug-its for my 150/3 and domino so they will work as well. Super excited.

I found the legs to be useless and in the way, so I removed them. The boom arm is very nice, though.

In a shop, where the movement of the arm is generally very limited, the legs are not necessary, at least for me. So, I removed them and don't even know where they are now....

Do you guys think just raising them is OK like the pic above?

I have the boom arm on my CT33 and it works fine in my shop without the outrigger arms installed. I had the arms on there for a few years, but on the rare occasion when I needed to move the CT33 to another location in the shop the arms were a bit of a PITA since my shop is fairly tight. I have never come close to tipping the unit over.